Preperatory Questions regarding FSEC / Security Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerLink

Hello dear Forum!

Im currently in the process of writting a bare-metal environment for the teensy 3.6 (learning purposes, no specific use case so far), meaning that i do not use any existing libraries, but instead writting them on my own, with datasheets.
A few questions regarding have arosen to me, which are as follows:

1)
Flash Security: As far as i have read and understood the Documentation, there is a memory region, located at 0x0000_0400 plus the 16 following bytes, which is used to initialize certain hardware register. One of them, called FSEC, is capable of a) disable mass flash erase and b) disable debugging access. I understood that this might make it impossible to reprogramm the chip if configuration is done wrong. I have read the according documentation, and prepared my image to NOT lock down the chip (because im developing it, and want to continue reprogramming it :) )
My questions regarding this are:

A) The FSEC byte contains 4 boolean choices, but each of those is encoded as 2 bits. I'd guess since (in 3 of 4 choices) 3 options are mapped to (e.g.: 0b00,0b01,0b11) "boolean false" and 1 (e.g.: 0b10) is mapped to "boolean true" it might be to make it harder to accidentaly set it to something undesired? Can someone explain the technical background / reason for this?

B) As described in the paragraph above, three choices (e.g.: 0b00, 0b01, 0b11) might map to the same decision. For one of the choices the datasheet says "preferred", but does not seem to explain why? (Reference: NXP Application Note AN4507.pdf, page 2, field KEYEN, preferred state 0b01)

C) I am a little paranoid about accidently locking my chip. As far as i understood there is absolutly NO way back (for normal human beeings) from disabling mass erase & disabling debug access? Do I understand correctly that as far as one of both (mass erase, debug access) is available the chip can be recovered? As a safeguard i would like to enable the Backdoor Access Key by default with a simple key such as 0x0123456789ABCDEF, even if i do not enable security ( == disabling debug access), so IF i ever accidentaly enable security i could still get debug access with that key to reprogramm the chip? Is this a reasonable approach?

D) I understood that reprogramming the flash works in pages. If my hex file does not contain any directions/data for the page starting at 0x0000_0400 and ending at 0x0000_04FF, this section should not be updated and left untouched? That is, will the halfkay loader erase the entire flash or only the pages that it NEEDS to rewrite according to the hex file? Is it better to try to avoid reprogramming this memory area or trying to always contain a non-lock-down configuration for this area?

E) I read that the halfkay bootloader has special handling for this case (See link [1]). It is indicated, but not entirely clear to me for teensy 3.6, that the halfkay loader actually will not allow me to writte a value to 0x0000_040C that would disable the mass erase command, and therefore would prevent me from locking myself out. Is this correct and can i reasonably rely on that as safety net, as long is use the halfkay loader (cli version) to programm?

Reference [1] https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/3442...e-flash-memory?p=104158&viewfull=1#post104158

best regards
thanks in advance

The best info can be found in the comments in mk20dx128.c

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/cores/blob/master/teensy3/mk20dx128.c#L37

On Teensy 3.6, the bootloader automatically sets FSEC to 0xDE after erasing and before any programming of your code. Since programming can only change bits from 1 to 0, this prevents any upload from bricking the chip.

Of course, if your code (running from RAM) erases the flash and then writes to FSEC, you can set it to anything you want. A few people have bricked their boards this way. If you mess with the flash controller, be careful!

On Teensy 3.0 and 3.1, the bootloader would ignore anything you tried to write to FSEC. That prevented bricking, but it also closed the door to turning on code security. Later models changed to the 0xDE approach to still prevent bricking but allow you enough flexibility to turn on security.

If you do turn on the security lock, pay attention to the info in those comments. Accidentally pressing the button without security means you only need to power cycle to get your program running. With the security lock set, any accidental button press means your code gets completely erased.

Thanks a lot for the fast answer and clarification!

Since i do not intend to mess with the flash controller from within a running programm, i think i should be safe enough then.

I can live with accidental erases, as long as i can reprogram.

Thanks a lot again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back