W25Q128FV SPI Memory Chip Discontinued, Should This 'Direct Replacement' Work Fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Potato

I went to buy a W25Q128FV as prescribed for the Audio Shield and found that it's no longer available. DigiKey says this is a direct replacement:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/winbond-electronics/W25Q128JVSIM/W25Q128JVSIM-ND/6819721

However, I've got it soldered to the shield and the Raw SerialFlash Hardware Test is saying

Read Chip Identification:
JEDEC ID: 0 0 0
Part Nummber: (unknown chip)
Memory Size: 0 bytes

Test failed :(

If it helps shed any light, SerialFlash.begin(FlashChipSelect) returns true...

I know that SerialFlash automatically detects chip types, and this new version of the W25Q isn't on the list so could that be the source of the problem? I did a good soldering job and the chip is oriented as shown in pictures so I'm pretty confident it's all hooked up correctly.

Thanks for any help!

Hey I did that originally, it didn't do anything because it detected that there wasn't anything at all on the chip:

Flash Memory has 0 bytes.
Erasing ALL Flash Memory:
estimated wait: 0 seconds.
Yes, full chip erase is SLOW!
Erase completed
actual wait: 1 seconds.

I've mounted another W25Q on a different audio board and same problem...The test returns negative results, the same ones you get if there's no memory chip there at all. The only difference I can find in the datasheet is that the clocks on the new model are faster than the old one, would that make a difference?

I poked around in the library files but really have no idea what changes I could make in there if any...here is the datasheet of this new chip by the way: http://www.winbond.com/resource-files/w25q128jv dtr revb 11042016.pdf

Read Chip Identification:
JEDEC ID: 0 0 0

Even if this chip isn't compatible, it definitely does have the JEDEC ID command. So getting all zeros here almost certainly means you have a hardware problem. Maybe the chip isn't soldered properly? Or maybe it's backwards? I can't know the reason, but I can tell you this "0 0 0" response means the hardware isn't connected properly, or the chip select pin isn't right.

Sanity check. If you are testing SPI flash on teensy audio adaptor, note that you must modify the SPI pin settings. See comments in examples, e.g. RawHardwareTest.cpp

Code:
  //uncomment these if using Teensy audio shield
  //SPI.setSCK(14);  // Audio shield has SCK on pin 14
//SPI.setMOSI(7);  // Audio shield has MOSI on pin 7

can you attach a photo of your flash chip soldered to audio shield?

Last edited:
I tested a W25Q128JVSIM chip on the audio shield. It works fine.

Here's the RawHardwareTest result.

screen.png

Here's a photo of the audio shield with the chip.

DSC_0325_web.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back