float or double for a teensy 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisKasprzak

All,

When programming a teensy 3.2, should I use floats or doubles for variable declaration? I see double is double precision, and float is single, and from what I read, the compiler uses double precision. I've been using floats, but I wounder if it should change to using doubles. I'm not really doing precise calculations, i'm more concerned over some internal conversion

Thanks

it depends on your precision, double takes more processing time than floats (float == 32bit, doubles == 64bit)
theres no FPU on a 3.2 so if you just want fastest use float itll be done faster than doubles in software calculations

All,

When programming a teensy 3.2, should I use floats or doubles for variable declaration? I see double is double precision, and float is single, and from what I read, the compiler uses double precision. I've been using floats, but I wounder if it should change to using doubles. I'm not really doing precise calculations, i'm more concerned over some internal conversion

Thanks
In the Teensh 3.2/LC, both float and double are handled via software emulation. In the Teensy 3.5/3.6, float is handled in hardware, and double is handled via software emulation. In AVR processors (Arduino Uno, Teensy 2.0, etc.), the compiler treats double as float.

Because the Teensy 3.5/3.6 has hardware support for float, Paul has turned on the GCC switch that says all floating point constants are float instead double. This prevents the compiler from having to convert float expressions to double because you used a floating point constant in an expression. The downside of this decision is if you are using a double double constant and expecting it to be a full double, you will find that it does not have the full precision. The work around is to use the suffix "L" which creates a long double constant (you could use lower case "l", but that often looks like a one). On the 32-bit ARM chips, the compiler does not provide a larger (80/128-bit) long double type, and instead uses the same representation for double and long double.

On the Teensy 3.2/LC, the emulation routines for float are much faster than the emulation routines for double. So, if you don't need the accuracy, I would say use float everywhere. I would suggest adding a "F" or "f" suffix to all constants which makes them explicitly float instead of double, and may allow your code to be moved to other platforms easier.

If you use the math functions like 'sin', 'cos', 'sqrt', etc. you should use the version that takes float inputs and returns a float result. Because these return less precision, they are faster than the double version. For most of the math functions, you just append a "f" suffix to the call, i.e. 'cosf', 'sinf', 'sqrtf', etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back