which is the best and affordable industrial uSD card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdorety

Hi All,

I have been using thes class 4 sandisk uSD cards from adafruit for years with good results: https://www.adafruit.com/product/102

They are plenty fast for my application, and in almost all cases, reliable. I have about 100 of them operational out in the wild and only 3 have had issues (in 4 years). The issues arise when I have multiple files which I sequentially read from. Eventually a sector goes bad. I'm using the arduino SD library running on a teensy3.2 (which I know could be better with sdFat). I am switching to the 3.5/3.6 platform, and even though it is all fast enough, I'd love to eek out some extra speed for headroom's sake.

I am also concerned about read cycles and lifetime of the uSD cards I use, as they basically play the same file over and over again until failure.

I see that Panasonic offers an industrial uSD card with amazing specs for $70 on digikey. Tempting, because they seem bullet proof, but ouch....$70.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=RP-SMSC04DA1

Are there any other industrial cards people love? If so, why?

I searched the forum, but couldn't find a uSD specific thread. Forgive if this is redundant.

If the standard SD card stores 2 or 3 bits with a single cell, I'd expect it to be 2 or 3x cheaper per GB than the SLC type (1 bit per cell). However that Panasonic part costs 10x more than the Adafruit one, for the same 4 GB storage space. I guess there must be other differences? Just manufacturing volume?

The industrial grade uSD cards have a feature called “Read Disturb” which is to prevent having data loss over time in projects constantly read/writing to the filesystem. 4DSystems have it on their website and is the recommended card for their uart displays. You may check out the details of “Industrial grade” uSD card on their site to know why exactly they differ from commercial grade cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back