teensy 1st setup problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st setup on teensy 3.2 & 3.5
when teensy is plugged in, led is blinking red, while teensy loading is running (showing 'press button on teensy to manually enter program mode') -> then push the button on Teensy, led stops blinking. HOWEVER message doesn't change on teensy loader! AND THERE'S NO TROUBLE SHOOT ON THIS PROBLEM.
--on 'Brand New Teensy Not Recognized', followed all the steps, change 4 different usb cables on 2 different usb ports on laptop, rebooted laptop twice. not working
--on ' Teensy Not Recognized by Teensy Loader', I followed all the steps, hold the button till usb completely plugged in. not working.

Last edited:
Below is a repost of something I wrote a couple years back - this and many other troubleshooting tips are here on the Forum.

Teensy Fails to Upload or to Blink or run, Wonder if it got bricked?

** TeensyDuino 1.42 or later has an updated interface shown on the "Tools / Port" menu item where a "Teensy" specific section will show a connected Teensy when present in Bootloader or other USB state if running and on a good cable.

Steps to get a fresh blink upload to your Teensy
*Setup IDE* {section below}
Unplug your Teensy
Close Teensy Loader.
make sure : Tools / USB Type: is "Serial"
Open and compile a sketch like below in the IDE.
When it fails to find the Teensy and says press button.
On the unplugged Teensy press and hold the button
Plug the Teensy in - Pause - release the button.
Wait and watch Teensy Loader - perhaps open the : Help / Verbose Info window.

{ allow 5-10 seconds for Windows(other) to see the device if it programmed - if it is installing the driver don't interrupt it }

Ideally that will upload a USB sketch that is properly recognized. The LED will blink and Windows will recognize the Teensy on USB and you can open the Serial Monitor [check Tools/Port] to watch it print dots. Edit the Code somewhat to alter the USB printing and Try a normal upload with a single Teensy connected.

If that fails Unplug and repeat those steps as needed - but plug into a different USB port, or a HUB, or cable.

Windows USB can go to an odd(er) place when it sees a series of insert/removals that are not properly resolved. Once this works you should not see this again as Windows will have the working driver associated with Teensy.

I've not 'damaged' a Teensy - and these steps have gotten me through the software connect confusion states that have shown in different ways on Windows.
> If you have a second working Teensy connect it once and download this sketch to see your system work, then retry the steps above.
> Have a good USB cable - not a charge only cable, good cables can go bad.
> If this fails, restart your machine with Teensy unplugged and begin again above.

This updated version of the old sketch will print data sent from the SerMon - and sending 's' will print the File and compile info.
Code:
#define qBlink() (digitalWriteFast(LED_BUILTIN, !digitalReadFast(LED_BUILTIN) ))  // Pin13 on T3.x & LC
void setup() {
  Serial.begin(38400);
  pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, HIGH);
  while (!Serial && (millis() <= 4000))
    { qBlink(); delay(50); }
  Serial.print("\nSetup() OK :: millis()==");
  Serial.println(millis());
  Serial.println("\n" __FILE__ " " __DATE__ " " __TIME__);
}

elapsedMillis emilBlink;  // Teensy way to delay action without delay()
int8_t loopCount = 0; // Print a NewLine periodically
#define MAX_LOOP 60
void loop() {
  if ( emilBlink > 1000 ) {
    qBlink();
    emilBlink = 0;
    Serial.print(".");
    loopCount += 1;
    if ( MAX_LOOP <= loopCount ) {
      loopCount = 0;
      Serial.println("!");
    }
  }
  char cc;
  while ( Serial.available() ) {
    Serial.print( cc = Serial.read() );
    if ( 's' == cc ) Serial.println("\n" __FILE__ " " __DATE__ " " __TIME__);
    loopCount = MAX_LOOP;
  }
}

*Setup IDE*
> Make sure you have a supported version of the Arduino.cc IDE installed
> Perhaps Download the current ZIP and unzip to a fresh directory
> Have a current version of TeensyDuino Installed
> In process BETA versions typically listed here : forum.pjrc.com/forums/6-Announcements
> A failure during install may mean some software element is stuck in memory, restart the machine and do setup again.
> Under IDE : Tools /Board - make sure your Teensy model is selected
> Under IDE : Tools /USB Type - make sure the setting is > USB Type: "Serial"
> Under IDE : Tools /CPU Speed - make sure chosen speed is not marked (No USB)
> ** More than one IDE install is possible. Make sure the IDE running is the same one the TeensyInstaller updated.
--> See 'Help / About' from the IDE for the version of Teensyduino associated with that IDE. If not check the 'shortcut/link' used
> Other standard Troubleshooting tips here: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/troubleshoot.html

General notes:
> Teensy Button takes it OFFLINE into Program mode, it is not a Reset button.
> Factory blink is nice, but it will not show up as USB like the above sketch. { Though with TD 1.42 (or later) the Tools / Port / Teensy will show it online as "RawHID" }
> If Teensy doesn't run right when not connected to PC USB - in setup() check for "while( !Serial );" This won't timeout, but the above code does.

Alternate Serial Monitor:
I generally use TyCommander for USB Serial debugging interface: It is more robust and has added Teensy Specific features ( GUI Reset and Upload and connectivity information Serial and HID )
> If you have TyCommander questions or issues please read/post on that thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer.

1. I have 2 teensy 3.2 and 1 teensy 3.5 from Microcenter. I tried all the trouble shoot solutions with both my Windows and Mac with 4 different usb cables on all the visible ports on PC and MAC, on all three Teensys. All the software are freshed downloaded today. I also tried unplug teensy then hold the button till full plugged in then wait for another 2 sec, teensy loader won't recognize it. Basically Nothing works. Teensy loader just simply won't recognize any of them and when I upload a sketch , Arduino ide will tell me'Teensy did not respond to a USB-based requestt to enter program mode. Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch. ' Teensy loader will tell me 'Arduino is attampting to put Teensy into Programming Mode'.

2. I am indeed unable to see my COM ports on Windows. It is not shown anywhere on device manager.

3. I tried using a Arduino Uno, everything worked fine.

howsthisevenpossible.jpg

Last edited:
Not clear if it ever took the program with a button press? If not it is very extreme with all the adjustments and attempts made with 2 OS's - 2 devices - multiple cables etc ...

Thanks for the picture - it shows USB is set to NONE, so even if programmed - it will not have active USB support enabled. This means: no USB device - no Serial Monitor output - and no programming without a Button press.

If Tools / USB is set to 'Serial' and it takes an upload on the Button press then it should be visible as a functioning USB device, as noted in Post #2 >> make sure : Tools / USB Type: is "Serial"

If problems persist then in the Teensy Loader ( from above ) >> Wait and watch Teensy Loader - perhaps open the : Help / Verbose Info window.

When that is open it provides diagnostic progress/problem information and the LOG menu item provides a way to save that to a file. Saving that file allows it to be uploaded for review - most likely by Paul to understand the nature of the problem.

I made sure that Tools / USB Type: is "Serial". Still the same thing.

It's not a hardware issue nor an OS issue since I've used three different Teensys, it's unlikely that three of them are all bad. And this is tested on both Windows and Mac, if Windows has a problem with Teensy, Mac should not. The only thing I can think of is Teensyduino and Teensy loader.

There isn't an option to upload a file in here either.

Addtional info:
The message on Teensy loader change from 'Press button on Teensy to manually enter Program Mode' --> 'Arduino is attampting to put Teensy into Programming Mode' then -->'Press button on Teensy to manually enter Program Mode'

What happens on pressing the button?

From the standard POST interface it allows image upload - to upload files click 'Go Advanced' down lower right by 'Post...'. There is an attachment drop down there.

Except for led stops blinking, nothing happens. No message change on teensy loader, no nothing. I’ve never seen that reboot message today. T_T

Very odd. If you can upload the loader log it might show something. Did you note what version of teensy duino you installed on what version of the ide

Last edited:
That log.txt will help Paul give it a quick look, though better if it were running the current TeensyDuino 1.42 now on Beta 7 and soon to be released { See the Announcements Forum section }. There is a new Teensy Serial Monitor and it may provide if not a solution - better debug feedback for PJRC. Also updating to the long standing IDE version 1.8.5.

AFAIK Nothing in the those old versions { 1.84 with 1.41 ) should cause what is reported - but if there is an issue that isn't somehow resolved with a clean install of the current code - it will be easier to get it resolved and test the fix as all changes only are made to the latest version.

Indeed there does not appear to be any Teensy showing up in the log.

Have the Power traces on the back been cut by any chance between VIN and VUSB? If so they wouldn't blink. It seems like every cable tried must be Power only USB cables for the Teensy to blink and not show up on any machine?

Indeed there does not appear to be any Teensy showing up in the log.

Have the Power traces on the back been cut by any chance between VIN and VUSB? If so they wouldn't blink. It seems like every cable tried must be Power only USB cables for the Teensy to blink and not show up on any machine?

Update: the problem is at the USB cable. It turned out all four of my microUSB cables are all power only........ Very unfortunate... But glad the problem is sorted and I can start using Teensy! Can't wait! Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back