What's wrong with overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there,

Someone can tell me what's wrong with overclocking teensy 3.2?

I mean, there will be some future problem or something?

Thanks in advance community

Someone can tell me what's wrong with overclocking teensy 3.2?

96 MHz works very well. The chip appears to be virtually identical silicon to others Freescale specified at 100 MHz.

Higher speeds are less likely to be fully stable. Many people have reported 120 MHz works well. 144 MHz has been reported to appear stable but then have rare problems.

I mean, there will be some future problem or something?

Well, if your project is anything "enterprise" then go with the official specs!

If you're making a product for many production and sale, you probably don't want to risk having customers return products.

The main risk is what seemed stable at room temperature and with solid 3.3V power might become problematic at higher temperature and lower voltage.

Hardware damage (to the Teensy itself) is very, very unlikely. Of course, with all microcontroller projects, consider what could happen if you've connected things like motors or AC powered gear if the processor stops working. Overclocking or not, that's where the real risks usually are.

thats a myth. the overclocking your doing on teensy is there because it can be used, otherwise if it was destructive paul wouldn’t give that option. people overclock their PC all the time, i pushed my 3.2 to 3.8ghz for the last 10 years, i still use it today :)

the people who should worry are really the ones who exagerate and use liquid nitrogen for their bench tests
but dont worry, your teensy wont die because of your overclock, only by how you wire it to your project

Hey @tonton81, okey may be i will overclock my teensy then :D

it is good to heard that because some forum are terrified about this idea.

In chips that run at high temperatures and very high current, there are effects like electromigration which impact the life span of the part.

Not an issue with low power microcontrollers like Teensy.

Even with chips where this sort of thing matters, it's a very slow process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back