New Teensy 3.2 won't connect to IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

amundsen

Hello,

I've got a brand new Teensy 3.2. When connected to a USB port, the Blink program runs as expected.

However, the board is not detected by the Arduino/Teensy IDE, whatever the USB port used. I have tested with several USB cables too.

Any suggestion about a possible solution or is this board just dead?

If it blinks, it is not dead.

First, check if your USB cables are not only charger cables without internal data connection. Second, make sure you have the newest Arduino 1.8.5 and Teensyduino 1.42b7 installed. Unfortunately, you do not give precise enough details. If on Windows, check the device manager, on Linux with lsusb, on Mac via About - System report - USB. A factory fresh Teensy won't show up as a COM port, as long as you don't have uploaded a sketch which activates the latter. Thus, you should see it as a HID device.

What does "not detected" really mean? Remember, we can't see your screen. We don't know what you're actually seeing.

If you're looking at the Tools > Ports menu, using version 1.41 or earlier, it's perfectly normal for the board to not appear in the menu at times. Teensy by default uses HID protocol, not serial. Starting with 1.42, which is still in beta testing, the ports has been redesigned to show all possible modes. You might prefer to install the beta for the better ports menu...

When you click Verify or Upload, you should see the small Teensy Loader window appear after Arduino finishes compiling your program. If you don't get that window, check Tools > Boards to select the Teensy board you have.

That small Teensy Loader window is the best way to troubleshoot. Its toolbar has 4 buttons, where the one on the first right is "Auto" mode. A successful Verify will turn that on. For troubleshooting, click to turn off Auto mode, so Teensy Loader doesn't quickly program your board the moment it appears in bootloader mode. Normally you want it programmed right away, but for testing you want Teensy Loader to keep showing you a visual confirmation that doesn't disappear rapidly.

While your Teensy is blinking, press the button on the board. 2 things should happen:

#1: The blinking should stop with the LED off, which is a good confirmation the hardware is working. If it keeps blinking, that's a sure sign of a hardware problem like a broken button.

#2: The Teensy Loader window should change from "Press Button on Teensy to manually enter Program Mode" to a bright picture of your Teensy board. If you don't get any response in Teensy Loader, it means your computer isn't able to communicate with the board. Charge-only cables (missing the data wires) are the most common problem. On Linux (we don't even know which OS you're using) forgetting to install the udev rule file means non-root programs can't get access to the hardware. Other problems like damaged USB connectors, bad hubs or ports, or horribly messed up drivers are much less common, but still could explain why it can't communicate.

Issue solved.

My cables are not charge cables (anything like that is far away from my desk) and my Arduino/Teensy installation is up to date (1.8.5/1.4.1).

However there were two facts I didn't know:
1. A new Teensy is in HID mode when coming from factory.
2. It is not requested to select a COM port in the IDE to load a sketch to a Teensy.

So I have uploaded an example with the board set as serial and everything is now OK.

Maybe the two underlined facts should be written in the cardboard coming with the board (I didn't happen to know these even if this is my fifth or sixth Teensy).

Thank you for your help anyway. Have a nice day.

Maybe the two underlined facts should be written in the cardboard coming with the board (I didn't happen to know these even if this is my fifth or sixth Teensy).

This is the reason why so much work has gone into redesigning the ports menu for 1.42.

Soon when 1.41 is a distant memory, anyone taking this "must select in the Port menu" approach will have it "just work" because the non-serial types will appear.

This is the reason why so much work has gone into redesigning the ports menu for 1.42.

Soon when 1.41 is a distant memory, anyone taking this "must select in the Port menu" approach will have it "just work" because the non-serial types will appear.

Good to know! Thank you for this feature, Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back