TyCommander can upload on MacOS but not Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Francey

I mainly use a Windows machine, I have lost the ability to upload anything to any Teensy with TyCommander on any Windows machine.

After modifying one .cpp file***, TyCommander can no longer upload a project I have been working on. The code compiles with no problem in Arduino (but does not successfully upload). When using TyCommander to upload, I get somewhere between 20% to 60% uploaded before receiving "I/O error while writing" error message. Importantly, no other projects are able to upload through TyCommander either. Even the simple Blink.ino example sketch fails to upload through TyCommander on a known to work Teensy.

I have troubleshooted with multiple Teensies and USB cords, experiencing the same symptoms. I have reinstalled Arduino + Teensyduino and TyTools. Finally, I tried compiling and uploading with TyCommander on a MacOS machine: a Teensy that Windows was unable to program had no problems uploading the same project on Mac.

I had access to a brand new Windows laptop. I installed Arduino + Teensyduino and TyTools and compiled the Blink.ino example sketch, and uploaded with no issue through TyCommander. I then compiled my project and tried to upload with TyCommander: fail. Then I tried uploading the previously compiled Blink.hex to the Teensy: fail. I tried with a different Teensy: fail.

Then I had access to a second MacOS machine. It also has no problems compiling and uploading the code to any Teensy that I tried.

How do I get my COM ports back?

This started happening right after I made a specific change to a file: I wrote a python script to generate a .txt file formatted so that I could copy the contents to a .cpp. Is it possible I introduced some special characters into the file that results in these symptoms?

dont lose that file, zip up the HEX and the code as well and send it here so if Paul has time he could see if he can reproduce the issue and/or ressolve it. defragster is the expert with tycommander, im sure if your code broke his he would definately work on getting his working again :)

TyCommander has a nice function in the "Tools" menu: "Reset application and settings". Did you try that? If your code has something which drives TyCommanders cache nuts, this should help. If not, it's better to raise an issue on Koromix's GitHub, since this is definitively NOT a Teensy problem, also long as you can successfully upload using the original Teensy loader instead of TyCommander.

I've not have such general issues lately and never anything seeming like that - a continuous user of TyCommander - except when I stop to test Paul's latest updates and changes in TeensyDuino most recently.

Exceptions and ideas follow::

When I have issues I report them to koromix - make an issue on github. KurtE seems an avid user as well as he reported the last problem before I saw it since I was testing TeensySermon.

That issue was when T_3.5 RAM extents changed - and it was fixed in a day. Also when T_3.6 was introduced and I had one and koromix did not, I used a debug build to get the new ID for T_3.6 to be added.

IDEAS: Can you click 'Serial' and connect to Teensy? Can you RESET and BOOTLOADER click GUI icons in TyComm?

My general help and a sample Blink with code for bidirectional USB test is here : pjrc.com teensy-1st-setup-problem

If you do : "sketch / export compiled binary" then you can point to that HEX in the sketch folder and open TeensyLoader and point to it to upload - does that work?

It sounds like you can connect as some percentage uploads? Which means it isn't that, if that percentage is progress from TyComm and not the IDE UI? What does 'View / Show App log' show? Saving that for koromix might be helpful.

I see the latest update 22 days back is what I have : TyTools-0.8.8-25-gd93a283-win64.zip from bintray.com/koromix/tytools/tytools#files/

If TeensyLoader works and you have the latest of all: IDE 1.8.5 and TD 1.42b7 and TyComm 0.8.8-25 it really should work when TyComm is 'Integrated to the IDE'. Make sure TeensyLoader is closed when using TyComm - Put it in Bootloader mode first with GUI button - that shows that TyComm owns the port/device - then do the upload. If that fails I'd suspect the cable or USB port? But if you move those and it fails save the App Log and create a github issue for koromix.

Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back