Breakout board for the microSoundRecorder including environmental logging

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD4WH

I plan to make a breakout board for the Teensy 3.6. to make the T3.6. a fully featured environmental audio recorder with audio & environmental logging on microSD. WMXZ has written a fantastic software for that purpose. https://github.com/WMXZ-EU/microSoundRecorder

Parts on the breakout board [which could be approximately the same size as the Teensy 3.6]:
- two I2S MEMS mics ICS43434 soldered on the board [if the PCB manufacturer can solder that tiny thing for me ;-)]
- Lithium backup battery for the real time clock RTC [size 1220]
- plug for optional Vin from a battery pack [3x AA or 3x CC]

several header pins for sensors:
- four pin header for Bosch BME280 [temperature, humidity, pressure] (3V3, GND, SCL, SDA)
- four pin header for light sensor BH1750 [light intensity in lux] (3V3, GND, SCL, SDA)
- four pin header for GPS module Neo6M [altitude, latitude, longitude, time] (3V3, GND, TX, RX)

All the sensor PCBs to plug-in are available for little money on the web, so I do not plan to solder sensors and their related circuitry directly to the breakout board, but rather buy the sensors and plug them to the board.

Unfortunately, I have never designed a PCB board by myself. So where should I get started? There are several break out boards out there, so maybe there is a board I could use to have the Teensy board basis available and build up on that?

It would be nice, if you could point me to something where and with which I could start with!

All the best,

Frank DD4WH

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

sorry, but what does exactly mean "environmental audio recorder" compared to a simple "Audio Recorder" ?

There are errors in your post :
- The link to the github repo of the microSoundRecorder software is not working, there is a "]" at the end that should be removed.
- ICS-43434 are I2S, not I2C.

It quite easy to build a breakout board, teensy 3.6 library is available for Eagle pcb design software.
But autodesk did recently buy this software, so I would not recommended it anymore, as you can no longer buy a standalone version. It's a yearly subscription, far more expensive, and without an internet connection you cannot launch it anymore...

Hi Etienne,

merci for pointing me to the errors. However, I cant find the edit button for that post . . .

what does exactly mean "environmental audio recorder" compared to a simple "Audio Recorder" ?

It is in the thread title "microSoundRecorder including environmental logging".

You can find more information on that in the WIKI on the github repo:

https://github.com/WMXZ-EU/microSoundRecorder/wiki

Thanks for the hint on the Eagle Teensy 3.6. object, I wasnt aware of that.

Have fun with the Teensy,

Frank DD4WH

I don't know why you can't edit your post, you should have an edit button in the bar at the bottom of it, but it seems it has disappeared from my posts as well.
Maybe after some time you can't edit posts anymore ?

I edited OP to make the URL work.

Forum change only allows posts to be edited for finite time … 2 hours ... IIRC.

2nd edit for i2s mics.

Last edited:
but what does exactly mean "environmental audio recorder" compared to a simple "Audio Recorder" ?
It is called "environmental" because in addition to being an audio recorder, the SW has additional features that are typically used in environmental field work
(timed / diurnal recording, event-triggered recording).

. . . and the new version (that is not yet on github) writes temperature, humidity, air pressure and light intensity from the BH1750 and BME280 sensors to a txt file on the SD card . . .

It seems like I will use KiCAD, also found files for the Teensy 3.6. layout. Also seems like I will have a nice time and a steep learning curve with KiCAD . . . :).

Thanks, defragster, for the corrections in my initial post!

. . . and the new version (that is not yet on github) writes temperature, humidity, air pressure and light intensity from the BH1750 and BME280 sensors to a txt file on the SD card . . .
I just pushed the new version to the github link given earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back