Can I use chips from this source to accomplish my task or do they need to be purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I am currently working on commercializing my first design and am using the teensy 3.5 to prototype.
I am wondering if I can use the MKL02Z32FG4 chips sold here:

http://uk.farnell.com/nxp/mkl02z32v...t14_United_Kingdom/search#anchorTechnicalDOCS

in the same manner as they are used here:

https://www.pjrc.com/store/ic_mkl02.html

IE, to bootload a MK64FX512VLL12 chip via teensyduino ( A teensy bootloader plugin mounted within arduino studio).
Any help or general advice on this matter would be greatly, greatly appreciated as I am something of a novice to creating boards of this complexity and am working alone.

Thanks in advance,

Giga.

Last edited:
You'll need the one from PJRC since it comes pre-programmed with the magic sauce which allows to handle boot/program/reset/upload code from Arduino/Teensyduino over USB into the MK64. The unprogrammed MKL02 from Farnell won't do that job.

Thanks a lot,

Do you know if its possible to get the bootloader code and upload it to the chips myself?
Just seems like it would be a lot cheaper when it comes to mass production.

It is not possible. The proprietary code in the MKL02 is basically PJRCs business model since everything else, Teensy schematics and the Teensyduino software are open source.

Normal model for production of starting from a Teensy prototype is to start with a PCB that mounts a OEM teensy to it, then to build a PCB with the Teensy integrated but with magic sauce bootloaders from PJRC (which sounds like your current state), then once you are truly in mass production and fixed code you redesign to remove bootloader IC and replace with a programing header and either use a bootloader on a matched plug or a commercial programing pod to load the ICs.

Once you do not have a PJRC bootloader IC on board you loose the ability to field reprogram the micro controller using the PJRC process, which may be a feature or a bug depending on your product and users. Various methods/examples/products exist to add your own software update path onto your custom project with varying levels of complication for you and your end users.

Last edited:
If you have a contract manufacturer build your first round of products, be careful to buy the MKL02 chips from PJRC. Especially if the vendor is in China, do not trust them to buy the correct chip. We've had several people get their boards made "turnkey" in China, where the Chinese vendor said (lied) they bought the chips from PJRC, but we had no record of any purchase. They tend to buy blank chips and then after you have paid, they will lie about where they bought them. Don't get burned by this problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back