teensy 3.2 with unresponsive usb jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

jferguson

I have a teensy 3.2 with maybe two years in use. It flies in and r/c airplane and records attitude, altitude, gps position including height and some other things I'm interested in. It has never spent the night outdoors. I haven't done anything with the program in 18 months. SO,,,,, a couple of days ago I decided to tune up the data format a bit, and found that I can't get a connection through the usb port. I suspect corrosion.

It does work fine in the plane by the way.

Does anyone have an idea on how I might clean this up, or should I just concede defeat and buy a couple more??

How are you testing? If looking at the Ports menu in Arduino, versions before 1.42 only show serial types.

I'm running 1.8.5 on Linux 16.04 . More to the point my serial terminal software which will detect a usb connection if it is there doesn't see it either. Other microcontrollers work fine.... so it's this particular teensy. I tried spraying inside the jack with a potion i use for cleaning rotary switches and pots on electronics - it works there, but no joy here.

I like teensies, they perform quite well in my application so i guess I should just bite the bullet and buy a couple more. It is kind of frsutrating though. I need to upgrade the software on my application and if I can't talk to this Teensy, it won't be any use to me.

AFAIK - The post from Paul was suggesting you use TeensyDuino 1.42. If any Teensy with running USB is recognized by the system it should show in the 'Tools /Port' area under the new Teensy section - no matter what USB interface it presents. And if No USB was programmed - pushing the Program Button will show that on return to the Port item. if that doesn't show then the cable or the Teensy is not usable as configured.

If the VUSB <> VIN trace has been cut and external power is not applied the Teensy processor will not be powered to respond … I reminded my self of that last month with a T_3.6 I didn't get a noticeable enough color nail polish on the USB hood like the others.

good idea defragster. external power. light doesn't flash when the usb is connected so must be a vin pin.

good idea defragster. external power. light doesn't flash when the usb is connected so must be a vin pin.

For use was the VIN <> VUSB trace cut? If not it isn't that. There is no automated LED flash on USB connect - unless the user sketch does that.

Sorry for the fuss. typically for me it was stupidity. I had migrated my linux Aruduino-teensyduino IDE to a new computer and neglected to do the UDEV fix. So in addition to the teensy 3.2 I thought i couldn't talk to, I have two more that I bought to see if it really was a hardware/firmware problem. A gain, not a loss. Wjile I was at it, I updated my TeensyDuino to 1.4.2 on Arduino 1.8.5

thanks for the patience.

john

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back