Burnt my first OctoWS2811 adapter, What Went Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanders

Hello, as the title suggests, I just burned my OctoWS2811 adapter and am trying to figure out what I did wrong.

I picked up a Teensy 3.6 + Octo Adapter for an LED light display project that I have. Today, I soldered together the hardware (I bought the 14x headers and the double insulated pins) and set out to test the set up.

First I tested the simple default led light blink program, powering the Teensy using the +5V pin through the OctoAdapter Board. This worked fine with no discernible issues, so I loaded up the BasicTest.ini program that comes with the OctoWS2811 library. The only setting I modified was the color defines; I changed them to the commented out "less intense" settings. I also added one of my 144/m LED strips to the circuit. Here is a rough diagram of how I set everything up:

igedVU8.jpg

I re-plugged in my power supply, then turned on the Teensy. None of the LEDs turned on, and after a few seconds I smelled the smell of burning electronics. So I immediately unplugged the power and investigated. Two of the traces on the board had burnt out, one coming from the +5V pin on the underside, and another on the top surface, leading to the VCC pin on the Teensy. I was afraid I had burnt out the Teensy as well, but it functions OK on its own. I reloaded the default LED blink program to verify.

HAORq3g.jpgfWkBP57.jpg
52RCFIt.jpg wqq51sh.jpg

I'm using a MeanWell 5V 60A switching powersupply. Both the teensy and the LED strip were being powered from it in parallel, the LEDs had their own gauge wire to power them.

I looked back over my soldering joints, and none of them cross over. There is quite a bit of residual flux left over, but I feel like that wouldn't have made a big difference.

I've just ordered a replacement adapter and I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake again, except I cant figure out what I did wrong. Any ideas? How can I test to prevent something like this from happening again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back