Programino IDE -- Teensy configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfresh737

I recently found the Programino IDE and really like it's editor. However, I'm not clear on how to add and configure a Teensy board. Is anyone else using this IDE with their Teensy?

Thanks...

One of the things I need to tell Programino is what the sketch uploader is and where it is located.

Where is the Teensydunio uploader located?

Last edited:
It is hardware/tools/teensy_post_compile.

To see the command syntax, in Arduino's File > Preferences, turn on verbose output during upload.

I see this in the Ardunio IDE when I upload:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy/../tools/teensy_post_compile -file=FS1000Main1.0.0.ino -path=C:\Users\RFRESH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_125497 -tools=C:\Prog ram Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy/../tools -board=TEENSY31 -reboot -port=usb:0/1D0000/0/1/3/1 -portlabel=hid#vid_16c0&pid_0478#8... (Teensy 3.2) Bootloader -portprotocol=Teensy

Attached is the dialog I have to fill in.

I added "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy/../tools/teensy_post_compile" but that gave this message: Programmer *.exe or *.bat not found, please check the path settings!

Attachments

• 2018-06-29_193212.png
    2018-06-29_193212.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 134
PJRC only officially supports use by the Arduino IDE. While I can point you to the command line utils, that's the most I can do to help.

Maybe ask the Programino folks for help from here?

I did post for help on configuring the Teensy on their Contact Us link a few days ago but so far no response.

Thanks Paul. I'll keep playing around with it and see if I can stumble on the right set up. I'm only using the Programino IDE because it's got such a great editor but their support isn't very timely.

I did post for help on configuring the Teensy on their Contact Us link a few days ago but so far no response.

Thanks Paul. I'll keep playing around with it and see if I can stumble on the right set up. I'm only using the Programino IDE because it's got such a great editor but their support isn't very timely.

Note, you can configure the Arduino IDE to use an external editor. So if you can get to the Programino IDE editor outside of the IDE, it might be a solution.

Maybe try all backslashes '\' as Windows normally uses, rather than a combination of '\' and '/'. Arduino is using Java and most of the native stuff is built it mingw (lots of unix stuff emulated), so both types of slashes tend to work. But maybe Programino is built with Windows-only stuff that only allows '\'?

My windows path to that is :: "T:\arduino_1.8.5_142\hardware\tools\teensy_post_compile.exe"

That is an UnZip install to 'T:\arduino_1.8.5_142' versus "C:\Program Files (x86)"

Maybe one of two things:
>> paths with spaces - at least at the command line - need the double quotes. Would expect code string should resolve that though as that not Teensy unique if others use such a bootloader path.
>> As Paul noted Windows uses backslash for disk path separator

Making a fresh UnZip copy install of the IDE like above ( then TeensyInstaller on that path ) - perhaps to the root of a drive into a folder with no spaces in the name - and point Programino to that?

Hmmm...some success (I think).

I used this string: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\teensy_post_compile.exe

Code:
Verify and upload code please wait... Done!
Last verify at: 07:40:28

quit

teensy_post_compile - inform the Teensy Loader of freshly compiled code

Usage:
   teensy_post_compile -file=<file> -path=<path> -tools=<toolspath>

<file> - The code to program (without .hex) to your Teensy board
       <path> - The directory where <file.hex> is located
       <toolspath> - The directory where the Teensy Loader is located

So then I tried this string: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\teensy_post_compile.exe -file=<file> -path=%PATH% -tools=%PATH%

but that produced this message:

Code:
Verify and upload code please wait...
Programmer *.exe or *.bat not found, please check the path settings!

I guess I'll just have to use Programino as an external editor (sigh).
Thank you all for trying to help!

I installed Ardunio and Teensydunio into C:\Ardunio but that didn't seem to help any.

Unless and until I get a reply from the Programino developer, I will just use Programino as an external editor.

So then I tried this string: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\teensy_post_compile.exe -file=<file> -path=%PATH% -tools=%PATH%

That definitely does not look right.

-path needs to be the directory where the .hex file is located.

-toolspath needs to be the directory where teensy.exe is located.

These are almost certainly not the same.

Thanks for that help Paul.

Below is the new string based on your above comment, but I am still getting the same error:

Code:
Verify and upload code please wait...
Programmer *.exe or *.bat not found, please check the path settings!

The new configuration string:

Code:
C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\teensy_post_compile -file=C:\Users\RFRESH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_122803 -tools=C:\Arduino\hardware\tools

Below is the Ardunio IDE upload verbose string which I tried but still no go. I guess I'll have to hope that the developer responds to my request for help.

Code:
"C:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\tools\teensy_post_compile" "-file=FS1000Main1.0.0.ino" "-path=C:\Users\RFRESH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_122803" "-tools=C:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\tools\" "-board=TEENSY31"

The new configuration string:

Code:
C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\teensy_post_compile -file=C:\Users\RFRESH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_122803 -tools=C:\Arduino\hardware\tools

In this case, you've put both the file and path under "-file=", rather than putting on the file on "-file-" and the path on "-path-".

It will not recognize you've used a full pathname under "-file=" and split it for you. This is a command line utility which isn't meant to be run by humans. It expects very specific inputs which normally come from other software.

Code:
C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\teensy_post_compile -file=FS1000Main1.00.hex -path=C:\Users\RFRESH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_122803 -tools=C:\Arduino\hardware\tools

I think this is correct now.

-file=FS1000Main1.00.hex

-path=C:\Users\RFRESH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_122803 [where the hex file is located]

-tools=C:\Arduino\hardware\tools [where teensy.exe is located]

But still getting the same error. I think I'll just wait for the developer to respond and then post the correct line back here in case anyone else wants to know how to do it.

Thank you Paul.

As a quick sanity check, you can try typing or copy-paste that line to a command prompt window. If it works when entered at a command prompt, that'll give you something more substantial to say when/if the Programino developers respond...

Don't forget the -reboot if you want to do more than just cause Teensy Loader to open the file and be ready for a manual button press (as happen at the end of Verify from Arduino).

You might also use Teensy Loader's Verbose Info window (hidden in the Help menu) to see if it's hearing the result of these commands. Compare what happens when Ardiuno does it. At the very least, you should see Teensy Loader receive the info and open your HEX file.

Just to share, because Programino is a very good piece of software, there is a simple way to use Programino with Teensy cards by using the IDE settings:

In the IDE interface, select the Teensy Board and COM Port #
ide_settings_teensy.png
You can now close the IDE.

Next in Programino, setup to use the IDE settings : Hardware/Board/Arduino IDE config
Programino_Teensy.png

Now it's possible to upload to teensy cards without opening the IDE itself. :)

(Anyway, I will have a look on the command lines required in the "User Boards" settings, because it will be more flexible when using different boards...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back