Problems with compiling a sketch, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jediseth

So I downloaded Arduino version 1.8.5 and I have done everything I can think of including erasing all of the anti-virus that might be blocking the program as well as shutting down the fire wall. I uninstalled all Arduino rebooted my computer and reinstalled and I just keep getting the same error. I've tried looking around on the site as well as the help tab on Arduino, but I still can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

aeWK25f.jpg

Past years I've been grabbing the IDE ZIP - unzip it to a known spot ( the root directory of a separate partition I created for it ). This prevents fights with the IDE having its own thoughts - or fighting with system protected file areas.

Not sure what Windows Version is in use?
> I use Win 10 with default Defender/firewall and only add MalwareBytes nothing needs to disabled to install or run ( though I do a path exception to stop MalwareBytes from worrying over the temp files during compile slowing it down ).

Then of course TeensyDuino is installed to that same known spot. Before or after ever opening the IDE.

Once that is installed and done I see a popup on starting that JAVA needs permission to run. The IDE brings in a complete Java it likes and it needs to be allowed which I do and not ever seen trouble.

Hard to tell what the reason for the fail without full text and sketch location info - either Java can't run or the a temp or the sketch file is trying to save to a forbidden place like the 'Program' directory.

If you try again or with the above ZIP idea - copy all the text in the lower console window and paste in a post.

Here's the entire error text.

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), TD: 1.42, Board: "Teensy 3.2 / 3.1, MTP Disk (Experimental), 96 MHz (overclock), Faster, US English"

java.io.IOException: Access is denied
at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
at java.io.File.createTempFile(File.java:2024)
at processing.app.BaseNoGui.saveFile(BaseNoGui.java:946)
at processing.app.SketchFile.save(SketchFile.java:287)
at processing.app.Sketch.save(Sketch.java:138)
at processing.app.SketchController.save(SketchController.java:344)
at processing.app.Editor.handleSave2(Editor.java:2031)
at processing.app.Editor.handleSave(Editor.java:2011)
at processing.app.Editor.handleRun(Editor.java:1729)
at processing.app.Editor.handleRun(Editor.java:1724)
at processing.app.EditorToolbar.mousePressed(EditorToolbar.java:345)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6530)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3324)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6298)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2236)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4889)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2294)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4888)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4522)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4466)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2280)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:90)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:729)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)
Access is denied

Build options changed, rebuilding all
C:\Users\Brandi\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_modified_sketch_88939\lightsaber.ino:39:21: fatal error: config/sethteensy_config.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

Error compiling for board Teensy 3.2 / 3.1.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Try to start with an unmodified ' File / Examples ' like :: ...\examples\02.Digital\BlinkWithoutDelay

The JAVA access errors are not right and shouldn't be there - Paul or others may have a fix.

But the end ' fatal error: config/sethteensy_config.h: No such file or directory ' shows a missing directory or file needed to complete building the sketch at hand.

I believe your copy of Arduino is probably ok. This error (probably) means something is wrong with the code you're trying to compile. It could also mean something is messed up with your PC's temporary folder or permissions, but before you dive down that deep rabbit hole, let's first look at the code you're trying to compile. That's most likely the problem.

My guess is you didn't write this program. Maybe it came from here?

https://github.com/profezzorn/ProffieOS

Perhaps you copied and pasted only the contents of "lightsaber.ino" into the Arduino window? Then you clicked Verify? This is important, we need to know what you actually did to get to the bottom of this error!

With normal, simple single-file Arduino programs you can indeed just copy them into the Arduino window.

But this program isn't a small & simple program. It needs many other files, and they need to be in sub-folders with specific names. You can't get that arrangement by just copying and pasting text. You need to actually download the whole "ProffieOS" repository from github. You're supposed to click the green "Clone or download" button on that page. If you don't have the special github software on your PC (which is very unlikely if you're using Windows and you're not a software developer), you would click the "Download ZIP" link.

When you save the download, remember *where* you're saving it. You'll need to know its location for the next steps, so don't just instantly click OK. If the location isn't somewhere convenient, you can move it after the download completes.

The ZIP file will give you everything you need, but there's still a couple more steps you must do correctly. First extract the ZIP file. You will very likely end up with a folder called "ProffieOS-master", with "lightsaber.ino" and the 11 sub-folders shown on the github page. You need to rename this top folder to "lightsaber", because Arduino expects the main folder to have the same name as the main .ino file.

After you've done all this, then use File > Open in Arduino. You'll probably need to navigate in the open dialog to whereever you extracted the ZIP file and renamed its folder.

Thanks Paul, It looks like that Zip file you mentioned is the same file called lightsaber I already have in my Arduino file. Perhaps Defragster is correct and my file I entered isn't correct? No I'm not a software developer and It seems I'm pretty slow at catching on to this stuff.

Well it works, I guess my problem was indeed the fact that my custom file name I entered was incorrect somehow. I thought it was right because a checked it a dozen times, but it wasn't happy with it somehow. So I stuck with the default settings that profezzorn installed and it works great. I'm going to have to spend some time and figure out how to customize my settings and files and such. Thanks to you both for the help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back