How do I get to OctoWS2811.h on Linux/Arduino ISP to run Basic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwatterson

How do I get to OctoWS2811.h on Linux/Arduino ISP to run Basic? Just installed the software (OctoWS2811) and hardware (Teensy-OctoWS2811 Adaptor) on a Raspberry PI.

I do not understand your question.

Maybe you could tell us which hardware you really have and what you're trying to accomplish?

Here's some generic answers that may or may not apply.....

The OctoWS2811 code runs on Teensy 3.x. The Arduino+Teensyduino software is used to program your Teensy. Most people use a regular PC or Mac to run the Arduino software, because Raspberry Pi is so slow. But you can run the Arduino software on a Raspberry Pi if you really want (and if you have a lot of patience).

There are 2 basic ways to use OctoWS2811. You can program all the animation to be done using code on the Teensy. Several of the examples that come with OctoWS2811, like BasicTest, PlasmaAnimation, Fire, & SpectrumAnalyzer work this way. Everything happens on the Teensy, so all you need is power to the Teensy and the LEDs will do whatever you've programmed. While this way gives you a very self-contained and highly reliable project (doesn't depend on a computer) it is harder to create really complex animations or video streaming using only Teensy.

The other way involves sending data to Teensy, which it then sends to the LEDs for you. Other OctoWS2811 examples like VideoDisplay, Artnet, Adalight & Glediator work this way. Software running on a PC or Mac or a board like Raspberry Pi sends data to the Teensy. Even if you intend to use a Raspberry Pi to send the data, this sort of project is easier to do by first using a regular PC or Mac. You'd run the data-sending software on your regular computer, and run Arduino on your computer. Once everything is working, then you'd plug the Teensy into the Raspberry Pi and try to run only the data-sending software on the RPi. This may seem harder because it adds an extra step to switch to the RPi, but believe me, this way is much easier because a regular computer is so much faster and easier to use for development & testing than the slow Raspberry Pi.

You can also store data on a SD card and play it from there. Generally it will need to be raw data, not compressed. Unless it is a very simple and fast decompression to apply.

Thank you for your help with this project. It is a mega Led Panel with 3000 Leds (48" x 48"). I was trying to program the Teensy-Octows2811 to light the panel and have everything soldered together. I loaded the software for the Teensy etc on the Raspberry but could not get the Arduino software to find the BasicTest.ino and so nothing has happened. I did understand that the Teensy and OctoWS2811 were a stand along setup and really thought it would work well for this project which is my first.
I can use my laptop to get everything running and then install a SD once I have the lighting details worked out. I was using the Raspberry Pi rather than my laptop since that was what is in my studio/workplace. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back