Grounding issue with touchSense project

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxdame

Hello Teensy community,
I'm working on a sound installation with the Teensy 3.2 using all 12 touch sense pins as a midi controller driving Ableton. I'm having a crazy grounding issue. The sensors only work when I disconnect the laptop power supply and the laptop body triggers sound too. Also it goes on a wild triggering spree when I plug into the audio out jack on the laptop (macbook pro). Obviously I can't run the project without the power supply so I need to find a solution. I thought maybe using external battery supply might do it but an answer to another post about battery use indicated that won't solve my problem.

Any suggestions on how I can deal with this situation? My sensors are on quite long leads as it needs to hang from the ceiling. I don't have this problem when I connect short wires of 6" or so to the touch pins, it works fine with power supply plugged in but this won't work for my project.

On a side note, ideally I would like to lose the laptop and make the project stand alone. Instead of using midi, I'd prefer to have the touch sensors trigger WAV files from the SD card on the Teensy audio board. I have this set up working using standard buttons as triggers but my coding skills aren't good enough to make the jump to replacing the button code with touchRead functions.

i'm on a macbook pro using Teensy 3.2. My touch sense midi code is attached. I am a beginner at coding so I'm sure there are more efficient ways to accomplish what I am doing but...one hurdle at a time.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Terry

Attachments

• 12_note_cap_trigger_Teensy.ino
    4.5 KB · Views: 61
This is a guess (I'm a software guy, not an EE, so higher level electronic stuff like ground loops go over my head), but do you (or the person touching the touch sense pins) have a common ground with the machine? If you are using an independent power source, there would be no common ground. You might want to think about having a small wire or piece of metal that connects to the Teensy's ground and touching it, so that there is a common ground.

These old articles about touch sensing hint about needing to ground yourself:

But as I said, I'm a software guy, so hopefully somebody who knows more can chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back