Electronics Noob Tackling the Teensy to make a Synth with Tons of Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to electronics (I took a class in high school and understand the basics) but I'm pretty familiar with programming. I've been recently attempting to build my own synth for my music. Through my research I discovered Teensy and the Teensy Audio Adapter and it looks like it can do everything I need. My goal (albeit a bit ambitious) is an all in one synth with 3-5 oscillators, plenty of filters (reverb, delay, low pass, etc), a drum pad (if possible), and maybe a sequencer. The reason I say "maybe" and "if possible" is because I don't know enough about the limitations of the teensy board and what other add-ins will I need. I'm not scared of a challenge and not scared about timeframe or price (reasonably) so I have many questions but I'll only start with 3 that I'd love answered if they can (just please go easy on me with the lingo because I'm still getting used to it).

I have a Teensy 3.6 and a Teensy Audio adapter on the way to my house and am currently trying to adequately research and prep while I wait for it to arrive. Additionally I should note that I have other electronics parts like capacitators and regulators as well as potentiometers and buttons. I have experience soldering and I have equipment to do it.

1) My biggest question is about I/O ports, how much can I run through it? It would be cool if I could have 16-32 buttons to control notes (I was looking at buttons similar to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nBK8sAl9nw ) as well as numerous potentiometers and switches to control filters. I've seen things like the I/O expanders like in Paul's (big fan by the way) Monolith Synth Build but how are expanders actually carried out with the teensy? What are the downsides? How is it carried out in the code?

I want to know the limits that the board can handle input wise and if I can stretch it, If not I've already thought of some alternative ways of dealing with this problem.

2) What are some resources and tips for creating a sequencer in this synth, I'm trying to create an all in one synth and I want to go all out. Also, could this tie into an arpeggio creator?

3) POWER. I'm so confused about power. my overall goal is to have this thing powered by a plug in the wall but I hear some places that 3.3V is used and others that 5V is used while other people use usb power. Is that enough to power the large amount of buttons and LEDs I'm planning to use? What are some resources where I can learn more about that?

Please remember I am a scrub and desperate and more than willing to learn. Please refrain from telling me how hard this will be or that I can't do it, I am willing to work day and night learning about this, I'll work for a year on it or more if I must.

Thank you so much for reading and thank you in advance if you can help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back