Teensy 3.6 as a 16bit 1MSPS DAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

notthetup

I am looking for a DAQ to be able to acquire data at 16bits/1MSPS. I looked around for something with good support to get the data onto a *nix system for further processing, but none of the stuff seems good.

I've played with Teensy's before and love them! I realised that the Teensy 3.6 has an ADC that can do 16bits upto 12MSPS. Now the question is how can this data be transferred up to the host system (Laptop or Linux SBC)? Standard `Serial` library only supports upto 2Mbaud which is too low (This would need in the order of 20M baud afaik).

Any ideas of how else I can send (and acquire on host side) data from the Teensy ADC?

-Chinmay

Sadly, no, this is slightly beyond Teensy's capability. You might be able to get half that speed.

The USB device port is 12 Mbit, which gives about 1.1 Mbyte/sec max speed with USB protocol overhead. Currently the 2nd USB port which runs at 480 MBit/sec is only supported in host mode. Someday we'll probably have a device mode library for it, but that day is at some unknown time in the future.

The ADC also isn't that fast. You can probably get about half that sample rate in 12 bit mode. At 500 ksamples/sec, you'd have 750 kbyte/sec data to send, which could fit into the USB bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back