xBee for Teensy 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOB

Hi folks,

I have been using an xBee with my Teensy 3.2 with the old xBee adapter from PJRC. I'm looking now to upgrade to Teensy 3.6's and see that the old xBee adapter is not made anymore, and the one on Sparkfun is set up for the 3.2 form factor. What is the recommendation for using xBee with a 3.6?

Thanks for the help!

That one looks like it has a USB-serial chip. You might need to disable or disconnect that chip's transmit signal. If both Teensy 3.6 and that chip connect both have their transmit signals wired to the XBee's receive pin, things are unlikely to work. It could even damage one or both. Generally you don't want to connect 2 logic outputs together. But it's fine to connect 1 output to 2 inputs, so (probably) no worries on the XBee's transmit signal driving the receive pins on both Teensy 3.6 and that board's USB serial chip.

you don't want to connect 2 logic outputs together. But it's fine to connect 1 output to 2 inputs, so (probably) no worries on the XBee's transmit signal driving the receive pins on both Teensy 3.6 and that board's USB serial chip.
Thanks Paul for clarifying. I typically use one connected to the pc with the usb and the other is connected to the T3.x through the tx/rx pins and neve use the xbee usb on the T3 side.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little confused by this, I have to look at the connections for that board a little closer.
Paul, do you know of an xBee adapter that would be better suited? Thanks!

For me, it maybe depends on how integrated you need it to be with the Teensy.

Example you could simply get the basic Sparkfun breakout board: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8276
You will need a set of connectors: 2 of https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8272

Then you need to wire it up, with: 3.3v gnd, DIN, DOUT going to Teensy.

The DIN and DOUT go to the TX/RX pins of one of the Teensy USARTS... I always have to look at their adapter to figure out what the DIN/DOUT are
That is, it DOUT the output pin from The XBee or connected to the OUTPUT pin of the host...

But again this is not an integrated fit on Teensy way of doing it. Would be easy to create one that looks similar to the one that PJRC sold or alternatively like the Sparkfun one that is extended to allow a Teensy 3.6/5 to be installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back