Can I use modules bought from Adafruit and control with Teensy 3.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerBalm

Hi I am new to this area and trying to do some small project using UNO and other modules.
I've been using UNO without any problem with modules purchased from places like Adafruit and Sparkfun because they always provide libraries. However, I've always wanted to study to have deeper knowledge on the microcontrollers something like direct port manipulation.

While looking at the datasheet, books, etc, I have found this UNO is powerful, but want to use something more advanced uCs (ARM) like Teensy 3.6 boards. I've recently purchased one to test myself and trying to use ADS1115 module from Adafruit, but it did not work, unfortunately. I applied pull up resistor (2.2k) but used same library that I used for the UNO, so I suppose I need to manipulate some of the header or Cpp code in their library?

In this case, what do I need to start fixing them? Not only this case, what about other libraries? I am not trying to take a shortcut, but trying to do some small project that I used to do with UNO but this time use Teensy 3.6 to understand the board and want to have this as my starting point.

Sorry, for the newbie type of posting !
I hope to get better in the future and help those of who are newbies like me in the future. Any comments will be helpful!

Thanks.
Tiger-

We all have been newbie's ... So welcome

My guess is it should work. Which one are you using, I see two of them up there. Looks like it should work with 5v or 3.3v. Might help if you post a picture showing how you have things wired up.

It is much easier to help in cases like this if you said something like you are using some specific library, and example of code that is not working...

Also helps to know what is not working? Does it compile? Problem with Init? values not right?

Kurt

T_3.6 won't tolerate any non-3.3V signal to any pin. Anything attached would need to be constrained to that range on output and accept that as high value when T_3.6 needs to signal it.

The T_3.5 won't be harmed by 5V on digital pins so that might be a consideration depending on the hardware used from UNO. The T_3.5 will only output 3.3V the same as the T_3.6 as noted above, any parts would need to see that as HIGH when needed.

The ADS1115 wasn't linked - but looking shows it can run at 3.3V with VDD of 3.3V it seems.

Not sure about existing library but this Example Wire Scanner should find and indicate the ADS1115 when connected and working: ...\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire\examples\Scanner\Scanner.ino

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. I was waiting for the Teensy 3.6 board and wanted to update after some testing. Unfortunately, it died not so long after receiving it !!!!!
Teensy 3.6 board was sitting in the breadboard, getting ready to be tested with Adafruit board, but accidentally, PIN 32 touched the ground pin of my oscilloscope, and suddenly disconnected from my PC and now it doesn't connect back to my PC. Did I fry my board? Is there any way I can test whether this is dead or not? So sad that I only had him for like 2 hours................................

Did I fry my board? Is there any way I can test whether this is dead or not?

Usually the first step is to fully disconnect the board from whatever circuitry you've connected, and if you cut the VUSB-VIN pads apart, solder them back together. Then see if you can get it to respond when connected with only a USB cable. Best way to test is with Teensy Loader visible on your screen with Auto Mode turned OFF. When you press the button on the Teensy, hopefully Teensy Loader will recognize it.

About Adafruit's libraries, almost all of them "just work". About 4 years ago they adopted a practice of mostly using only I2C, SPI and digital I/O, which all work very well on Teensy. Most of the older libraries when they used to do "special" stuff also work, but only because they've almost all been ported to Teensy by now

If you do get back up and running and an Adafruit lib isn't working, the first step is to post a detailed message here. At the very least, put links to the exact product and library you're really using, and clearly state which example you're running. Don't make us have to search and guess. Usually a photo of how you connected the wires is also needed. Many times problems are a misunderstanding or wrong info about how to connect the wires, since almost all their modern libs work. Again, don't make us have to guess what you really did. Actually show (with photos) how you used the product. We're really good at helping when we can really see what happened.

In the unlikely case of a library that really doesn't work, I do have a small budget to buy hardware and test it. Most of the old libs were ported that way. If there are any newer ones in need of porting, I'd like to know. I can't promise I can get to it quickly, but usually I do investigate when clear info is posted and we can't find a simple solution.

Hello,

I've recently purchased one to test myself and trying to use ADS1115 module from Adafruit, but it did not work, unfortunately. I applied pull up resistor (2.2k) but used same library that I used for the UNO, so I suppose I need to manipulate some of the header or Cpp code in their library?

regarding this, the ADAFRUIT library "Adafruit_ADS1015" works without changes with teensy in several of my applications.
You don't need pull up resistors, 10K are on the Adafruit-board. Maybe put some in parallel if you have longer I2C lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back