After updating to Teensyduino 1.4.2 always this 'gettimeofday' message

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmiralCrunch

Hi

after upadating to Teensyduino 1.4.2 there are always this messages when compiling

gettimeofday
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.
gettimeofday
gettimeofday
gettimeofday
gettimeofday
gettimeofday
gettimeofday
gettimeofday

what does that mean? what should I do? oO

Is this Microsoft Windows? Maybe an older version?

Edit: looks like some debugging stuff was left in, for older Windows systems which lack GetSystemTimePreciseAsFileTime(). This message means it's falling back to gettimeofday(), which performs poorly on Windows (but is excellent on Mac & Linux). If you're using Windows 7, Vista or XP, just ignore this message. If you have Windows 8 or 10, or Mac or Linux, you should never see this message.

Last edited:
Is this Microsoft Windows? Maybe an older version?

Edit: looks like some debugging stuff was left in, for older Windows systems which lack GetSystemTimePreciseAsFileTime(). This message means it's falling back to gettimeofday(), which performs poorly on Windows (but is excellent on Mac & Linux). If you're using Windows 7, Vista or XP, just ignore this message. If you have Windows 8 or 10, or Mac or Linux, you should never see this message.

Ok thanks :)

I have Win7

Windows 7 is terrible for USB. Microsoft *finally* fixed long-standing USB bugs for Windows 10, making it the very first Windows operating system where USB enumeration performs about as well as Macintosh and Linux.

With 8 and 10, Microsoft also added APIs like GetSystemTimePreciseAsFileTime(), so Windows programs don't have to resort to horrible hacks for precise calendar referenced timestamps. You're seeing that leftover message because I had to put 2 sets of code into all the programs, so it can fall back to the low-res time functions for pre-8 versions of Windows. For comparison, Linux and Macintosh have provided highly precise time service using the same POSIX standard APIs since long before Microsoft published Windows 7.

Windows 7 is terrible for USB. Microsoft *finally* fixed long-standing USB bugs for Windows 10, making it the very first Windows operating system where USB enumeration performs about as well as Macintosh and Linux. [... more details ...]

Thanks Paul for jumping in with that -- very helpful to know.

Do you happen to have any technical references for the improvements to enumeration?

I see that this Microsoft page leads to "What's new for USB" pages for Win 8, 8.1 and 10.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi.../new-for-usb-in-different-versions-of-windows

And I note that the 8 and 10 pages mostly introduce new APIs, while only the 8.1 page talks about improved reliability and performance per se.

So if there's info about USB bugs being fixed in 10, that would be valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back