teensy 3.6 died

Status
Not open for further replies.
im not sure how this has happened, but i plugged in my teensy 3.6 to my pc (had no connections plugged into the teensy) and it didnt boot up at all, checked with external 3.3v and found that the 3.3v and gnd connections are shorted together somehow.

Nope, I made sure to check it will all circuitry removed and cleaned up all the solder pads to make sure there wasn't a weird solder bridge.

Was it powered and seen to blink before any soldering - as it was before packaging/shipping? Did it ever work after soldering? How much was soldered then de-soldered? A few pins or many/all? Was it only ever powered by USB? What was it connected to with soldering? Nothing with 5V connections to T_3.6?

It's pretty rare for chips to fail with a dead short (less than half an ohm) between 3.3V & GND. If you're measuring 0 ohms, or whatever your meter shows when the leads are touched together, then it's very likely the problem is solder or other metal shorting somewhere on the board.

sorry about the long delay in replying got back from the convention and spent some time looking through a magnifying glass to look for any tiny connections that may have been made and using some solder wick to really clean up the pads.
3.5ohm measure between 3.3v and gnd. i has been working in the past, and worked on arrival. worked both before and after soldering/desoldering iv only soldered on these pins in the photos that should be attached. i have had it connected to an external power source of 6V before and and since re jumped the solder pads to bridge the VIN to VUSB, and have never powered it from both the usb and external power at the same time. i had connected 2 LCDs and 5 servos and a serial connection and power to it. (servos and lcd were powered straight a power supply and never from the teensy), and have not used any 5V logic with this board only 3.3v.
20180725_181140.jpg20180725_181154.jpg

i could caution the 6 volt psu, 6v is the absolute max, if there was a glitch/surge in the feed it could have surpassed. Its better to use a 5V psu as sometimes voltages of low end psus can be like 5.2 v or the like

Last edited:
i could caution the 6 volt psu, 6v is the absolute max, if there was a glitch/surge in the feed it could have surpassed. Its better to use a 5V psu as sometimes voltages of low end paus can be like 5.2 v or the like
Very true, but the psu i use decent at keeping steady low voltages. although to ensure i didnt go over the 6v this psu was then fed into a 6V regulator that the meter i used to confirm it was at 6v constantly.

The solder blob at VUSB looks dangerously close to one of the micro usb ground tabs.
it does, but i had a wire that reconnected the VIN and VUSB pins (avoiding the then clean jumper pads) before and still the same issue occured, i have cleaned up the divide between the pads and the usb gnd tab to ensure they arent connected. i may be wrong but i dont think that its the issue at least for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back