Custom HID that awares of computer's states

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishix

Hi,

I'm trying to build a custom input device. It's easy enough to do a keystroke/mouse emulation with the provided library. However, I'm wondering if it's possible to have the Teensy aware of the computer's state and do different things in different states. Just like how a Wacom tablet knows which application is active and adjust the hotkeys accordingly.

Here's a simple version of what I'm thinking:
A device with one button. If the current application is Chrome, then clicking that button would send "Enter", otherwise send "Space"

I imagine this would require some sort of custom driver that would monitor the changes in active application and send the state through serial to Teensy?

Thanks a lot!

My guess, is there is a driver on the PC, that monitors the input from the tablet, probably either defines another device or special reports.

I looked at one of their tablets, to make it at least partially work with our USB host driver. More details about the device up at: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/45740-USB-Host-Mouse-Driver?p=152946&viewfull=1#post152946

The interesting question would be, does this driver tell the tablet anything about an active app, or does it simply receive the input from the tablet and it knows which app is active and then it converts the tablets input into the appropriate input(s) for the current app?

Hm that's probably a smarter way to do it. This means that the device interacts with Windows only through this "driver." Now I just need to find a way to create this driver that sits on the system tray, intercepts the device's communication, and translate it appropriately to the active program...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back