Connecting to an Android phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

memecode

Seeing as male Micro-B to Micro-B OTG cables exist, I could plug a phone into a teensy 3.6, but would an app on the phone be able to talk to it?

I've done several MIDI foot controllers in the past, initially running on an AVR stamp, and then a Raspberry PI (v1). The Pi based board has a touch screen but something about it seems flaky and it glitches from time to time (only the top 8 scanlines work). I thought maybe a phone would make a better UI? Certainly the touch screen and res are far superior but I need to have something at the low level to talk to the buttons/leds/knobs and MIDI ports etc. If I could exchange serial data between an app on the phone and the teensy I could remove the flaky adafruit screen from equation. I'm not a fan of the Pi's long boot time either.

I'm thinking of using cordova to write the android app, I'd rather use JS than Java. There seems to be support for serial USB connectivity. And maybe something like JSON as a protocol messaging layer between the app and the teensy.

Has anyone got a phone app talking to a teensy before?

Not seen any signs of forum user development IIRC - but I found and posted about a Serial Monitor app I downloaded that worked. One or so didn't - this one I got the DTR and settings options right and with OTG plug it could send and receive well to the SerMon function of that app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back