Does the Teensy Prop Shield use pin 10? Conflicting instructions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

austin519

Hey all,
I'm adding everything and the kitchen sink to my Teensy, and I've realized I'm rapidly running out of pins. Right now I have the Teensy 3.2 + Prop Shield + TeensyView + (a lot of inputs), and I'm now trying to add a BLE module to it. I need pin 20 for Serial 1, but it is currently being used by the TeensyView for CS. Following the Sparkfun guide below, it stated I needed to use pin 20 if I was using the prop shield instead of the standard pin 10.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/teensyview-hookup-guide (1/5 of the way down)

The thing is, looking at the prop shield guide and circuit diagram, it doesn't seem to use pin 10:

https://www.pjrc.com/store/prop_shield.html

Am I misreading the Prop Shield page? If not, this solves a huge problem for me. Thanks!

Austin

Am I misreading the Prop Shield page?
Looks all correct @ prop Shield page:

Signal Pin # Used By: Description
Pin SDA 18 sensors I2C Data for motion sensors
Pin SCL 19 sensors I2C Clock for motion sensors
Pin IRQ 2 sensors Interrupt from motion sensors
Pin MOSI 11 memory,led SPI Data
Pin MISO 12 memory SPI Data
Pin SCK 13 memory,led SPI Clock
Pin MEM_CS 6 memory Low to access memory
Pin LED_EN 7 led High to send LED data
Pin LED_DAT - led 5v buffered LED Data output
Pin Pin LED_CLK - led 5v buffered LED Clock output
Pin AMP_EN 5 amp High to enable amplifier
Pin AudioIN DAC amp Audio signal
Pin AudioGND AGND amp Audio ground
Pin Speaker+ - amp Connect a 4Ω or 8Ω speaker
Twisted pair wire is recommended
Pin Speaker- - amp
Pin 5Vpower VIN amp,led
Pin 3Vpower 3.3V sensors,memory
Pin GND GND (all)

Thanks Chris for responding. So if the prop shield page is right (I assumed it was) is the sparkfun page wrong about needing to switch from pin 10 to pin 20 for the TeensyView if you have the prop shield?

Perhaps the SparkFun page says 10 must go to 20 for Audio Board, and for Proto usage is (Alt.) to make that change - which could be read as optional alternative?

I thought that at first too, but they have a chart 1/5 of the way down that makes it pretty clear the settings specifically for the prop shield. What’s more, they say this in their example and show it in the code:

RST set to default
DC set to alternate
CS set to alternate <- this means p20
CLK set to default
mosi set to default

In fact, it looks like what should be switched are pins 5, 11, and 13, and 10 and 15 are fine. They’re saying to switch pins 5 and 10, which looks wrong...

Prop shield doesn't use 10 - so it doesn't need to be changed, but can be.

5 on the Prop shield enables the AMP - so - yes it should be moved it seems on TeensyView.

11 and 13 are shared SPI lines and they are shared by design with Prop shield Memory also on SPI.

The reason Audio Board moves 13 to 14 is because pin 13 is required by Audio Board and 14 is the Alternate, so TeensyView can use that pin to have working SPI with Audio board - but that need not change for Prop Shield.

defragster, thanks for your comments. So it sounds like there is a typo then on the Sparkfun site, and I can leave 10 as default instead of using 20.

For the SPI pins (11, 13), forgive my ignorance, but it sounds like if I don't have the audio board, I can leave those on 11 and 13 as well...that's what you're saying right?

So to confirm, for my setup (using the Teensy 3.2 + Prop Shield + TeensyView), My TeensyView pins should be the following:

RST: 15 (Std)
D/C: 21 (Alt, instead of 5)
CS: 10 (Std)
SCLK: 13 (Std)
Data: 11 (Std)

The only pin I need to reroute on the TeensyView is 5, because that enables the amp as you said. Can you confirm?

Ok, just confirmed what I said above is correct with one caveat: I need to keep SCLK at 14 for my own project because I'm using the 5V buffer on the prop shield to run WS2812 LEDs. Thanks all.

Ok, just confirmed what I said above is correct with one caveat: I need to keep SCLK at 14 for my own project because I'm using the 5V buffer on the prop shield to run WS2812 LEDs. Thanks all.

It is possible to use SCLK == 13 for both normal SPI stuff and for the LEDs (and in fact to access the flash memory on the prop shield you have to share the SCLK/MISO ports). I'm on a road trip right now, but you might want to look at this old post of mine. In particular, post #6 from KurtE shows how to switch the pins from being in SPI mode to being normal data pins, do the WS2812B stuff and then switch back to SPI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back