Issue w/ Teensyduino 1.42 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

XRAD

Hello All,

Having issue installing Teensyduino 1.42. Win 10 all recent updates, AMD FX 3.30GHz, 12GB ram 64 bit os, x64 based processor. Can't seem to create correct lib/version.txt file for Arduino. Arduino version 1.8.5 and just updated with fresh download this evening. Tried https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/52649-Teensyduino-1-42-Beta-8?highlight=Teensyduino+1.42+Beta and the version on https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Tried turning off all malware, spyware, defender, etc. Tried install as admin. Tried multiple file locations and names libraries/txt, lib/version.txt, lib/version.txt lib/1.8.5.txt etc....

currently, arduino fresh download is located C:/Program Files (x86)/Arduino/lib/version.txt/

still get the empty next sign no matter what I have tried. Suspect a simple answer, tried net searches , and forum searches...maybe someone has a tip?

Thx in advance

Attachments

• teensy.JPG
    teensy.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 179
If it is a release build Arduino 1.8.5 from the web then TeensyduinoInstaller should recognize that in folder >> C:/Program Files (x86)/Arduino

lib directory is not where it should be pointed.

Indeed the installer may need to be run 'As Administrator' to install to that directory. For past years I've been doing ZIP installs to a root directory - not using IDE's installer and not putting in the ' C:/Program Files (x86)' directory.

Thx for reply.

Could not get ZIP install to root directory to work.

tried moving out of x86
C:/Program Files/Arduino-1.8.5
C:/Program Files/Arduino
C:/Program Files/Arduino-1.8.5/lib/version.txt
C:/Program Files/Arduino/lib/1.42.txt
C:/Program Files/Arduino/version.txt

tried to put it on desktop too. Initially Arduino was in my documents folder, which Teensyduino installer points to , so I tried moving Arduino files back to this location and no luck either.

I could uninstall newest version of Arduino and go back to Arduino 1.8.1 and try teesyduino 1.42 or 1.39? but I really don't want to . Teensyduino installer is still not recognizing the version.txt folder. This is to develop code for a Teensy 3.2 using arduino IDE.

PS: Teensy installer recognizes win 10 serial driver no problem....

It won't recognize the lib folder where version.txt is. It needs to be in the /Arduino folder where it will find the core files it checks proper versions for modifications.

Not sure why root ZIP failed - maybe protected if not Admin? I put in root on another drive created for this.

it doesn't have to be the root - if you can make a root folder it should unzip there.

OK. well I tried uninstalling 1.8.5 and installing 1.8.1 This loaded to C:/Program Files (x86)/Arduino and then I added version.txt file so that now there is C:/Program Files (x86)/Arduino/version.txt . C:/Program Files (x86)/Arduino was pointed to by the Teensy installer, but still not seeing the version.txt file

no luck... I think I would need better instructions on how to create root ZIP...specifically the location ...inside Arduino?

unfortunately, have to go to work now. will check back in 12 hours! Thx for your help

Attachments

• teensy1.jpg
    teensy1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 124
You need the 1.8.5 download from Arduino.cc's download page.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

They have 3 downloads for Windows. 2 of these work. Both the "installer, for Windows XP and up" and "ZIP file for non admin install" work fine. The "Windows app Requires Win 8.1 or 10" does not work. Do not get the Windows app version!

Both of these come with the versions.txt file. It will be in the "lib" folder after you install or extract. DO NOT manually add this file. The installer does many more checks, including verifying checksums on portions of Java bytecode inside Arduino's JAR files. If you have an unsupported copy of Arduino, you're not going to easily fool the installer by just copying a text file. It's much, much smarter than that.

Thank you very much, Paul! I was so focused on the win 10 version that I never saw the others. I used the 'XP and up' version. Really appreciate your help. Works seemlessly.

And my Teensy 3.2 just came in the mail today, perfect timing.

Attachments

• ard3.jpg
    ard3.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 126
  • ard1.JPG
    ard1.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 114
  • ard2.JPG
    ard2.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 132
Sorry post #2 'Arduino 1.8.5 from the web' wasn't clear - I never paid attention to Win 10 install on that page - that is right on the machine in the stupid store.

Would have been right - and better - if the ZIP install had worked.

Agree, Paul.

No problem, defragster. I appreciate your help. I am sure I will be back with coding questions. Going to use the Teensy 3.2, either though PWM(PPM) or SBUS, to control a Robersonics Tsunami wav board. Should be an interesting project.

I'm trying to find a way to improve the installer, to better advise anyone who has the "app store" version of Arduino.

Looks like Windows installs app store stuff in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps. But that folder seems to have very special access restrictions. :(

I've added "Windows installer & zip are supported, but Windows "app" can not be used." to the help dialog.

capture.png

I'd really like to find a way to check if the app version is installed, and show a message in the main area too. Or maybe that's just overkill?

Looks like the App Store version creates an "ArduinoData" folder in your Documents folder. Inside is a preferences.txt file, and at least 1 line in that file has the inaccessible "WindowsApps" path. I'm working on some code to check if that folder and prefs file exists, and open that prefs file and parse for "WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC".

Ok, here's how it will look when run on any Windows machine where the ArduinoData/preferences.txt file contains a hardwarepath entry with "WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC".

capture2.png

This new messages at the top of the scrolling text only appears when that file is found. The small text in the title area always appears.

Hopefully these will help anyone who has the App Store version.

If any Windows users have suggestions to how this could be more clear, please speak up. I personally use Linux and sometimes Macintosh for video. I almost never use Windows, so I'm not really familiar with the terminology and thinking that speaks to Windows users.

Thx, Paul. I think this is very helpful. I also want to let you know that the Teensy3.2 has been working like a champ. Sometimes, with other microprocessor/USB designs, the USB port recognition is an issue. ZERO Teensy issues connecting or with installing many different arduino IDE based programs.

Paul, i'm responding here from an issue i raised in another thread. when installing arduino as an app the install process was handed off to the windows store and it seemed to finish successfully in that the ide would start, run and quit properly. however when installing teensyduino the initial screen that asks for the directory of the arduino install did not list any correct path to the arduino install, there was no error message from either teensyduino installer or the windows app side. it was simply the screen that asked what directory arduino was installed in and that screen offered no path solutions that were accepted by the installer and then allowed "next" to be entered. i should add i'm running version 1803/os build 18219.1000 which is the "skip ahead" copy of win10 at the moment.

Fixed my problem as well, thanks Paul.

You need the 1.8.5 download from Arduino.cc's download page.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

They have 3 downloads for Windows. 2 of these work. Both the "installer, for Windows XP and up" and "ZIP file for non admin install" work fine. The "Windows app Requires Win 8.1 or 10" does not work. Do not get the Windows app version!

Both of these come with the versions.txt file. It will be in the "lib" folder after you install or extract. DO NOT manually add this file. The installer does many more checks, including verifying checksums on portions of Java bytecode inside Arduino's JAR files. If you have an unsupported copy of Arduino, you're not going to easily fool the installer by just copying a text file. It's much, much smarter than that.

My first use of Teensy. The issue was fixed by your suggestion. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back