teensy 3.5/6 ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

msaine

The spec sheet says the teensy 3.5/6 has an Ethernet port but I see no pins in the pin-outs that are assigned that function? Is the feature sheet wrong? I know the other teensies need an external module does the 3.5/6 also require an external module?

So the bottom line is the reference sheet is wrong as there is no Ethernet support on the 3.5/6 boards. Probably should update it don't you think?

Just to be clear, is this the page you are talking about? https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/techspecs.html

The way I understand the current situation is that the board does have the capability to run ethernet, assuming you also have an external ethernet circuit, and the right software. Neither of those other two needed things is out of beta and AFAIK there is no ETA for them. So it's a chip-level feature ( *port* ) but there no product level *support* for it now or perhaps anytime soon. I believe the same situation applies to the 2nd USB port on Teensy 3.6. It seems to me the "technical specifications" page is strictly listing the processor chip features, and not necessarily the board features. I'd agree that should be made clear.

Last edited:
The way I understand the current situation is that the board does have the capability to run ethernet, assuming you also have an external ethernet circuit, and the right software.

Indeed, the hardware has an Ethernet Mac (requires an external PHY chip), but there's little in the way of software support.

But there isn't zero software. You can find quite a few resources in the message Manitou wrote!

I believe the same situation applies to the 2nd USB port on Teensy 3.6.

I'm happy to say the situation with USB host is much better. I did spend quite a lot of time this year on the USBHost_t36 library. KurtE and others contributed too.

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/USBHost_t36

This library comes with Teensyduino, so assuming you have a recent version, it's already installed in your copy of Arduino.

Currently the only documentation is the examples that code with the library, and some comments in USBHost_t36.h.

So the bottom line is the reference sheet is wrong as there is no Ethernet support on the 3.5/6 boards. Probably should update it don't you think?

Also if you look at Paul's recent work for an updated Arduino Ethernet Library 2.0

You will see that there is Ethernet support for T3.5 and 3.6
Code:
Teensy 3.6              WIZ850io                1143.58         212.59          ok              ok
                        WIZ820io                1102.71         202.44          ok              ok
                        WIZ812MJ                274.14          180.76          ok              ok
Just not support for the partial support on the actual chip....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back