Teensy 3.5/6 5V Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicDev

Hi all,
I have a Teensy 3.6 and it is awesome!. However, the pins on the board are 3.3V tolerant and my sensors are mostly 5V. So I cannot use them together without voltage downgrade and upgrade as well as an external power source for the sensors. Because of this, I have developed a PCB that would allow me to communicate safely with both the Teensy 3.6 and the sensors. It is still a work in progress and some testing still needs to be done.
I would like to make it a commercial product, so that more people would be able to use their sensors and be more attracted to the 3.3V tolerant Teensies because that was also holding me back before getting one. And though, before that I would like to know whether or not it is reasonable to make it available as a commercial product when testing is done, and if there is a market for it. Would any of you be interested in such Adapter?

Thanks a lot,
VicDev

Such an adapter might be interesting for the small hobby market, but I suspect that the actual 3.3V and even 1.8V technologies which are currently used in new industrial designs will make it « down » to the hobby market very soon. Most 5V versions of MCU peripheral ICs are already obsolete or are marked as not recommended for new designs.

I'm just one data point, but all of the sensors I use already (MPU-9250, BME-280, uBlox GPS, SBUS receiver, AMS5915 pressure transducer) are either: 1) already 3.3V voltage input, or 2) 5V voltage input with 3.3V signal, so no need to convert the signal voltages for me. Just need to be careful about adding new sensors to read their spec sheet a few times.

Brian

Yes, obviously it is not industry appropriate and only for hobbyists. I am only a student that's working alone and i developed it just for my robot and thought maybe more people would find it useful. Bridging technology is all I'm capable of at the moment from home :p

This is probably a bad decision from a business point of view hahaha but yes there is. Keep in mind I am new to this... Schematic_Robot-Proj_Sheet-1_20180814232824.png

Attachments

• Schematic_Robot-Proj_Sheet-1_20180814233400.pdf
    51.7 KB · Views: 117
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back