Are Arduino mega compatible TFT LCD screen compatible with Teensy 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudy2018

Hi, I have a Teensy 3.6 board and an Arduino Mega board. I hope to purchase a 3.5' 320x480 TFT LCD screen that can be used on both of them. A quick search on Amazon gives me some products that claims to be compatible with Arduino Mega (such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Kuman-Arduino-Screen-Tutorials-Mega2560/dp/B075FP83V5/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1535248636&sr=8-6&keywords=Arduino+mega+LCD+screen).

My question is, generally, are these Arduino Mega compatible TFT LCD screens compatible with Teensy 3.6?

Description says:
Controller: ILI9481 or ILI9488 driver(default in random)

It looks like there is support for the ILI9481 in UTFT:
Code:
…\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\UTFT\tft_drivers\ili9481\initlcd.h:
    1: case ILI9481:

But not SPI - would take the parallel wiring as noted in this thread

Forum searching for "ILI9481 or ILI9488" hits on a couple threads each.

My question is, generally, are these Arduino Mega compatible TFT LCD screens compatible with Teensy 3.6?

Generally, yes. But it really depends on the specific software library you will use. Many of these vendors don't actually publish any code at all, or offer *any* support. Many of them, if they provide any assistance at all, will just suggest you go use one of Adafruit's libraries.

This product seems to ship with a small CD. What will actually be on the disc determines how useful the product is with other boards. Maybe ask the vendor if you can download the files from their website? If you post a link here, maybe we can give you a more informed opinion about whether it will really work.

Also generally speaking, pretty much all of Adafruit's libraries work. In the rare cases where there's a problem, I often buy the Adafruit product and fix the library. Adafruit pretty much always accepts fixes for Teensy into their code (but these days, fixes like that are very rarely needed). But the caveat for you is whether the Adafruit library will really work with a non-Adafruit product. Again generally speaking, I tend to only test Adafruit's code with their products.

Yes, there is a link with the product's software library. Here is the link: https://mega.nz/#F!uA0RCZRD!ZFXm54hof7W3-AVm_NymkQ. I would really appreciate if you could help me check this library.

As I am completely new to using LCD screens on these microcontrollers, I also have more questions about choosing a screen:

1. Are there any beginner-level introduction materials about using LCD screens with Arduino/Teensy?

2. I have met quite a few terminologies when searching for a product, like 3-pin SPI, 4-pin SPI, 8-bit parallel, 16-bit parallel, what do they mean and which of them is better?

3. Currently a lot of websites only gives me a picture on how to connect the screen on Arduino, but how can I know which pin to connect when I ship the LCD screen to Teensy?

4. Also by searching in the forum, it seems 3.2 inch 320x240 LCD screens with ILI9341 controller is a better option because it has an optimized library. Generally what kind of refresh rate can a 320x240 LCD screen with ILI9341 controller achieve, and what about 320x480 LCD screens?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back