VL6180x sensor and i2c scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am running into some issues in getting a vl6180x time of flight sensor to work with teensy. I have tried both LC and 3.2, same non.result.

I have tried to use the i2c_t3 basic scanner, but it doesn't even get past the initialization phase - no serial output. The i2c scanner does work, but it cannot find any devices. I have hooked up another i2c device (i2c oled) and it correctly returns the address.

This leads me to think it is a connection issue with the vl6180x sensor. I haven't used pull-up resistors myself before, they were always onboard, and I think this is where my issue is at the moment. I have added a 2.2 kohm resistor between both sda and scl and 3.3v in my connection - similar to this diagram: https://www.google.fi/url?sa=i&rct=...aw2o_XKwQ4Wz59zaDxlNB619&ust=1535477121773010

I have tried 2 different vl6180x sensors, and with both I am running into the same issues so I don't think I have a faulty part.

Any idea where I need to look next?

Appreciate the help,

Bob

Theoretically yes, but additional pull-ups won‘t harm. If the I2C scanner doesn‘t find these parts, something is definitively wrong. Did you check the voltage levels on the two GPIO pins to make sure that the VL6180X does not hang in standby mode?

I checked the GPIO 0 earlier. I now checked both of them and they are both high (2.8v) so that seems to be OK. I have also tried different teensies (LC and 3.2) I can succesfully detect other i2c devices, but not this one. I did also suspect it might be in sleep mode or something, but from the GPIO pins it does not seem like it. I figured any code I run does not work because the address of the device might be different, but if the scanner cannot pick it up don't know what to set it to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back