Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Compiling Teensy Sketches with VisualCode (Win10)

Thanks Luni. VisualTeensy is awesome

Hello Luni,

I'd like that VisualTeensy include ALL libraries in the project. It will be better for us to keep a working project, even if/when a library change and break compatibility with an older one. This way, even if one update his main library in standard libraries folders (arduino, teensyduino and personal folder), there will be no problem with any VScode project, until the OP decide to update the library in the VScode folder.

Thank you,
    Manu

This is still on my todo list. :-( However, VisualTeensy only shares libraries from the 'shared library repository'. Libraries from the other repositories are copied to the project by default. So, if possible just install your library from the Arduino or Teensyduino repository.

As a workaround you can also directly copy the library into the /lib subfolder of the project. To update the makefile just reopen the project in VisualTeensy. It will detect the new library and set up the corresponding makefile and the vsCode jsons. However, this sometimes requires adjustments in vsTeensy.json.

Anyway, since the weather here starts to get bad I'll have more time working on that soon :-)

Quote Originally Posted by luni View Post
    As a workaround you can also directly copy the library into the /lib subfolder of the project. To update the makefile just reopen the project in VisualTeensy. It will detect the new library and set up the corresponding makefile and the vsCode jsons. However, this sometimes requires adjustments in vsTeensy.json.
    This is what I do, and it require some adjustments in vsTeensy.json AND c_cpp_properties.json ;-)

Also I noticed in some vsTeensy.json a "dummy" project after the real project. The dummy project is always set to "Teensy 4.1" and is not needed.

Cheers,
    Manu

The c_cpp_properties.json should be autogenerated if, after you adjust vsTeensy.json, you reopen the project in VisualTeensy and save it again.

The "dummy" project is there to be able (in a later version) to generate multi configuration builds. E.g. if you want to test your sketch using different configurations (board type, optimizer etc) you will be able to do this in one step.

I use VisualTeensy for developing my libraries, so I actually *donít* want them copied to the lib folder If this feature is added, could it be optional?

I actually *don’t* want them copied to the lib folder
    Sure, you will be able to choose share/copy for each library. Similar to the 'copy the core files' to the project setting.

BTW: I'm also thinking of doing a library development mode which makes working in the Arduino 1.5 library structure more easy. This mode should also handle generating and compiling the examples from within the library project. Let me know what you think about that and if you have some ideas for such a mode.

Luni, your MP box is full ;-)

Should be empty now...

Since vscode >1.5 spits out annoying messages about changing intellisense mode from gcc-x64 to gcc-arm I updated the corresponding configuration and added a few other improvements to VisualTeensy

• Updated intellisense configuration to avoid annoying messages from vsCode (>=1.5) about intellisense mode changes to gcc-arm.
    • Added the used cpp standard (gnu--14) to the intellisense configuration (useful if you use features which changed behaviour between c++11 and c++14. E.g. std::chrono)
    • Added a recently used projects list
    • Improved *.sym file generation (*.sym is located in .vsteensy/build. VisualTeensy uses gnu nm now to generate a nicely sorted symbol list) @FrankB, thanks for the tip

Here the link to the current binaries: https://github.com/luni64/VisualTeensy/releases
    Last edited by luni; 10-16-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Thank you.