Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Joystick not working on Teensy++ 2.0 in Serial+Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick mode

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    5

    Joystick not working on Teensy++ 2.0 in Serial+Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick mode

    Hi,

    I'm working on a Teensy++ 2.0, and would like to run it in Serial+Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick mode, so I can make it communicate with another software via Serial, and then make Teensy act as Mouse/Keyboard/Joystick.

    The issue I face is that when set to "Serial+Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick", the joystick does not work. Windows joy.cpl does recognize it, but it does not respond to any inputs. If I switch the mode to Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick, it works fine.

    I'm running it on Windows 10, and also tried on an Ubuntu virtual machine (if it makes a difference).

    Here is the minimum code I can reproduce it with:
    Code:
    void setup() {
        pinMode(0, INPUT_PULLUP);
    }
    
    void loop() {
        Joystick.X(analogRead(A3));
        Joystick.button(1, !digitalRead(0));
        delay(50);
    }
    I've tried various ways to reset the drivers on windows (like this). I've tried it on another Windows 10 PC as well (that never had the Teensy connected to it), same issue (Serial+Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick ,mode not working, didn't try Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick, but I assume it would work).

    Any ideas on how to solve this?

    Thanks
    Grey

  2. #2
    hmm, that's odd.

    I've been using a setup with two teensys sending joystick data to the same computer and have been using one in keyboard+mouse+joystick mode, and the other in serial+keyboard+mouse+joystick mode so that windows doesn't mix up which joystick is assigned to which buttons. Hasn't caused any problems for me on teensy 2 and teensy 2++

    Did you confirm it works on some usb modes and not others?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotplater View Post
    hmm, that's odd.

    I've been using a setup with two teensys sending joystick data to the same computer and have been using one in keyboard+mouse+joystick mode, and the other in serial+keyboard+mouse+joystick mode so that windows doesn't mix up which joystick is assigned to which buttons. Hasn't caused any problems for me on teensy 2 and teensy 2++

    Did you confirm it works on some usb modes and not others?
    Hi, thanks for the reply!

    Yeah, I confirmed it by changing the USB modes. Event the little sample I provided in the original post. If I compile it with "Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick", it works, if I then just change the option to "Serial+Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick", compile and upload, it stops working. Tried it on both Windows and Mac (both compiling and testing if the controller works).

  4. #4
    Did you try a fresh install of the arduino/teensy software? Bit of work to test it, but someone yesterday had a problem with the automatic reboots on upload and that fixed it.

    I know that that one works on my machines, so it should work. You mentioned you tried it on an Ubuntu virtual machine, perhaps try another physical windows machine?

    Let us know. I've been having problems with the Flight Sim Controls + Joystick.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotplater View Post
    Did you try a fresh install of the arduino/teensy software? Bit of work to test it, but someone yesterday had a problem with the automatic reboots on upload and that fixed it.

    I know that that one works on my machines, so it should work. You mentioned you tried it on an Ubuntu virtual machine, perhaps try another physical windows machine?

    Let us know. I've been having problems with the Flight Sim Controls + Joystick.
    Yeah, tried reinstalling arduino/teensy software. Automatic reboots on upload don't work for me, but that isn't a problem, I have a manual reboot button for it.

    As for trying on another windows machine - tried it, no difference. Also tried on a Mac (with fresh install of Arduino/Teensy), same issue.

    One thing I haven't tried is using USB2.0 port, not sure if that would make a difference.

    Since it works for you (and is expected to work in general), could the issue be pins/soldering/electronics related? I haven't done these things myself, the Teensy was provided to my by a friend for a hobby project.

  6. #6
    If the usb upload is working at all I highly doubt it's hardware related.

    When you say usb 2.0 port you mean the usb port on the computer itself? Wouldn't think that'd change things, pretty sure I'm using usb 3 ports for things.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    5
    Yeah, the upload is working fine.

    And yup, meant the port on the computer. All of mine ar USB3 as well.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    5
    Incase someone in the future is in a similar situation, and finds this thread:

    It turned out to be a hardware issue. We tried with a different teensy (same model), and it worked fine.

  9. #9

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Incase someone in the future is in a similar situation, and finds this thread:

    It turned out to be a hardware issue. We tried with a different teensy (same model), and it worked fine.
    Thanks for the update

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •