Looking for a start on choosing RF module

Status
Not open for further replies.

Po Ting

Hello community,

I'm looking forward to add Radio controll / synchronize to my teensy LED project.
I am totally new to RF module and used none before
just did some search and read some data with them, there are many different modules/libraries and their key words are different :(
also there are so many variants even on a same chip name, some QFN, some COB, not sure if there are serious difference that needs to notice.

But I'm quiet sure looking for features below so it best suits my project :
1. I am working with a teensy, so the RF module doesn't need to be programmable.
2. SPI or I2C controllable
3. low currency quiescent mode (~<500uA)
4. the module at low power can wake with correct signal and then wake the (also snoozing) teensy
5. small size, with none of the dimension over 20mm.
6. range: I think a working distance of 5~20m is enough?
7. receivable / transmittable , I wish to let each of the unit can lead and synchronize each other.
(optional)3.3V/5V driven.
(optional2) if the part had a complete library to use that would be great

I did see a nRF24L01, RF75/77 could possibly fit? they look so similar in pinout and size

I'm looking if anyone had experience, or bad experience on any of those modules? or even other suggestions,

Thanks for any sharing :p:p:p

Last edited:
Thanks for suggestions guys, I just ordered some of nrf24 modules.
Since my project is a battery project without a hard-wired switch.
Mainly my questions falls on a module's quiescent currency or ability to hibernate, which I can't find out from datasheet.
I'm going to test on this and report soon here.

@gfvalvo
Did, but not deep
As I never used any RF module before
I don't understand which mode/state does it refers to (power down/standby?), and if it fits my requirements
I don't recognize them.

Also I didn't see comments about those states in example codes, not yet.

@gfvalvo
Did, but not deep
As I never used any RF module before
I don't understand which mode/state does it refers to (power down/standby?), and if it fits my requirements
I don't recognize them.

Also I didn't see comments about those states in example codes, not yet.

Look at the powerDown(), powerUp(), and setPALevel() methods as well as the pingpair_sleepy.ino example in the library that I linked above.

Hello, Its been nine months,I've completed adding on nrf24 module into my POV and achieved wireless synchronize,
and also a easy version as a hand LED-stick.
I can also recommend nRF24 module for anyone looking for wireless option. :D

it works with my teensy LC module,
while MTP cannot be used with it due to lack of RAM :(
Teensy 3.6 version with 80HD should be fine

Using time splice hybrid with rest and radio listening, I achieved a radio-active (can be wake by other prop) state with only <800uA current,
which is good as it can stay in power for more than 60 days with 18650, usually 1~2 day is enough.

completed item video on FB : the first is POV, the second is LED-stick.

Nice work, congratulations and thanks for the update!
I'm trying the HC-12 myself, because I need the best range/powerdrain ratio, but I considered the nRF24 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back