new Teensy 3.2 blinks fine but no success uploading with HalfKay on Windows 7 or Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

equipoise

I'm only modestly experience with Teensy, which I love, but I'm unable to upload new sketches on one T32 board whether I use Win7 or MacOS.

When I plug the T32 into a USB port it blinks just as it should. Pressing the Program Mode button on the T32 stops the blinking just as the troubleshooting page describes, yet the Teensy Loader window remains the blurry version throughout. When I try to upload from Arduino, Arduino reports:

"Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to enter program mode.
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.
An error occurred while uploading the sketch"

I've tried Serial and HID USB type settings from the Arduino Tool menu to no avail. The Teensy Loader window remains the blurry version in all cases and efforts to upload all fail in the same way.

I've uploaded the same compiled sketch to several other T32's successfully using the same USB cable and USB ports on both Windows and Mac machines.

Which terminals on the back would I jumper to electrically reset the T32? Can anyone suggest further diagnostics or potential solutions? It feels like a HalfKay problem to me, and I wonder if I should try to reinstall HalfKay. I don't have another means of programming the T32, so an alternative may not be possible for me in the short time I have. Any suggestions of how to find some way of diagnosing HalfKay?

Thanks.

--equipoise

Have you tried:
a) Load some simple program like blink
b) Make sure Arduino is configured for T3.2, USB Type: Serial.
c) make sure Teensy is plugged in.
d) Use the Verify (Compile) comand in Arduino IDE. When it completes, it should bring up the Teensy App.
e) Not necessary, but make sure the Teensy app is visible. Make sure it is configured for Auto.
f) press the program button on the Teensy. Does the Teensy app show some quick progress indicator that it is programming the new Teensy... Hopefully yes, it will then assign a new Comm port for the Teensy. Choose this in the IDE and hopefully you should be able to automatically program other programs without having to press the program button

If this fails, you might want to look at the troubleshoot page: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/troubleshoot.html

Teensy - as you saw on the others is robust - where the loader program is safely embedded in a second processor chip on the board. It is made active and ready when the Button is pressed.

Is the latest TeensyDuino 1.43 installed? The behavior of the menu: Tools / Port was recently enhanced. When looking at that after pressing the button it should show the Teensy as "hid#..." and be selected.

If set for a T_3.2 and USB Type Serial selected with a simple Blink doing 'upload' should then work to compile and program from the IDE. I posted some notes and a sample sketch here that may help

Did the Teensy come with pins? Has anything been connected to it?

are you using a virus scanner? I've got Win7 and mcAfee and unless I disable real-time scanning in McAffeei can rarely upload a sketch. If I disable real-time scanning, i can upload very reliably.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all for your informative replies. It turns out I had a flaky USB cable that would only go bad when plugged in with a twist in it as I had been doing. Once I replaced that the problems disappeared.

--equipoise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back