Circuit Configuration with Pin Assignment for Teensy 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfly

Good day everybody!

After having done a few projects with Arduino (one of them with ~35 inputs/outputs on the Arduino MEGA) I recently decided to go ahead with the Teensy 3.5, however 3.3V logic level is virgin soil for me and I am kind of chicken-hearted of doing something that could damage it. I am not an engineer, so please be patient with my following thoughts.

I would like to change my MEGA with the Teensy 3.5 (which is installed abroad and runs over a year now), improve a few things and add three modules I don't have any experiences with. Now, the normal procedure would be to start on a breadboard one after another, but in this case I have to plan the basis of the circuit before (yes, that's another risk). Most of the sensors already in use are 3.3-5V tolerant and I tried them out without having difficulties (such as the DHT, DS18B20, PIR sensors, simple switches and potentiometers), BUT two modules are new for me (USR-ES1 W5500 Ethernet Module, INA219 I2C Current Module) and they are on its way. Before connecting them I would like to know if I prepared the connections correctly and if my plan with a Buck Converter doesn't do any harm to the battery bank of the solar system (24V, 500Ah). Would somebody with experience please be so kind and look over this circuit?

check-schaltraum.JPG

1.) The whole project will be connected to a 24V solar battery. As voltage varies between 23 and 29 volts (depending on the charging state) I decided to use a DC-DC-Buck Converter first (7-30V, 3A max.). It's input/output is protected with a fuse against short circuits and a diode if any draw back occurs.
2.) Then two separate LM1117 will be used (my first time also): 5V for the Teensy 3.5 only and another one with 3.3V for the Ethernet Controller only (I was said in this forum that the Ethernet shield draws quite a lot energy, so I thought it might be best to get a linear voltage regulator just for this module with two additional 470uF capacitors). Both output voltages with have a 470uF and 0.1uF capacitor.
3.) The INA219 Current Sensor module is placed right after the Buck Converter that should have 11 to 12 volts at its output to measure the total current. Before mounting together these parts I will cut the VIN from VUSB on the bottom of the Teensy.
4. The USR-ES1 W5500 Ethernet Module is connected with the pins: 10-CS0, 11-MOSI0, 12-MISO0, 13-SCK0 and RESET with Reset of the Teensy. NC and NINT are not connected (what is the purpose of NINT anyway?).

It would be brilliant to replace the small 0.96" OLED in the long run with the 1.8" Adafruit ST7735 Color TFT 128x160px display that has an additional SD card slot. Maybe in this planning phase it would be a good idea to verify the correct pin assignment right at the start - without having to solve troubles afterwards with any other module mentioned above: 13-SCLK, 11-MOSI, 2-CS_tft, 9-DC, 8-RST and 28-CS_sd Is this correct?

Thank you very much for your help!
Dragonfly

These questions are much better if you can give links to the specific products. For example, when I search for "USR-ES1 W5500 Ethernet Module" google gives me several links that are PDF, and then a link to Newegg where the photo looks like that cheap clone of the Wiznet Wiz550io. In that case, I can tell you I did test a similar-looking clone and of course the genuine WIZ850io and they work fine.

Regarding the "Buck Converter" which doesn't seem to have any specific info I can use for search, I can tell you many people have used these sorts of power supplies. Most work fine, some like this Traco product can be problematic.

Please be more specific and make it easier to look up the details about the actual products you're using. It's very difficult to answer when everything requires google searching and the descriptions aren't specific enough.

Thank you for your response, that is very kind!
Sorry for the lack of information. Well I've seen your review of the WIZ850io and the clone in comparision. I've got pictures though (without further tec infos, looks like the clone you once tried out). I was hoping for a correct pin assignment mentioned above.
USR-ES1_W5500-1.jpg
USR-ES1_W5500-2.jpg

Regarding the DC-DC Buck Converter: It is not a simple Traco as your link shows, but a module with the LM2596 instead. Input voltage of 4V-40V and output voltage between 1.3v-35 volts and an output current of 2A (3A max. with additional heatsink). Its conversion efficiency is around 90%, the output ripple 30mV max. and the switching frequency 65 KHz:
LM2596.jpg
LM2596-2.jpg

The INA219 should be the standard model widely used, I just feel insecure to prepare something new with several components I don't have any experience at all - plus using a new platform such as the Teensy 3.5.
INA219_I2C.jpg
INA219_I2C-2.jpg

I hope this helps, even though some tec data is missing...

I used an identical-looking LM2596 module on the Monolith Synth project. Worked great.

https://dorkbotpdx.org/node/1274

Don't know anything about the current sensor. The photos look pretty and the writing on the bottom looks encouraging, but is there a link to actual technical data?

The photos look pretty and the writing on the bottom looks encouraging, but is there a link to actual technical data?

Yeah thanks for your warm-hearted words about my extended photo gallery. ;) As the matter of fact I have no further information about the technical data and I was more concerned about my planed pin assignment with the microcontroller (first post) which I thought can be verified before I do sth stupid, especially as you know the identical ethernet module.

Your Monolith Synth project looks awesome btw, nice work! That's encouraging that the module works reliable as the whole project relies on it.

Are you going to use an Arduino library with that sensor? If so, you'll need to at least know the link to the library code.

Or write your own? You'd need access to technical documentation....

If you haven't already bought it, perhaps ask the seller for this info. Without working either of these, you probably won't be able to actually use it.

For the W5500 Ethernet Module I want to use your improved Performance Ethernet Library.
Looking at the datasheet today I figured out that my pin assignment at the top is bulls***: 10-CS0, 11-MOSI0, 12-MISO0, 13-SCK0, NINT of the module can be connected to any digital pin of the Teensy (or any pin as you stated in another topic last August) and Reset of the ethernet module can also be connected to any pin.

The INA219 Current Sensor board runs with the Adafruit library: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_INA219
I wanted to use the standard pins SCL0 and SDA0 as the 0.96" OLED. As the teensy 3.5 has multiple i2c port, could you please tell me when it is usefull to run on / separate a device to SCL1/SDA1 or SCL2/SDA2?

To include the Adafruit ST7735 Display in my layout I'd like to use the same SPI with the pins: 13-SCLK, 11-MOSI and pin 2 for CS_tft, pin 9 for DC, 8 for RST and 28 as CS for the additional sd card.

Is this pin assignment correct? Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back