Orphan Annie concert grand keyboard project

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno

Hello,
My tech for my piano has given me an orphaned action for a Yamaha concert grand, which he named the Orphan Annie action. I'd like to use it for a practice MIDI piano (I do much of my practice early in the morning when I can't play my grand). I can buy expensive optical actions for full pianos, but I have an idea for a better and cheaper approach, which is to install FSR's that the hammers will hit, and a switch sensor for when the dampers let down. He is finding a salvaged damper rail set for me - that will send the 'note off', the FSR's will send Note ON and measured velocity to the sampled piano (Ivory vII). I can build a nice simple case for it.

So the idea is the the hammers then bounce off a sensor instead of a string, for near perfect emulation of touch and response.

Here is an earlier thread on the subject, and of course here is the general documentation.

OK then, so here's my idea. I'll use the following

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/interlink-electronics/30-81794/1027-1001-ND/2476468

• $120 4 Teensy 3.6's (24 analog + digital on/off) for 88 keys
  • $485 100 (bulk order) FSR 400 Series sensors (data sheet)

Sensors are the expensive part, I can cut up a cheaper one and mess with that but I'm fine with buying individual ones, as long as it works.

Questions
  • There was an earlier discussion of the scan rate but it seems like the 3.6 might be OK. I'll interleave the controllers (123412341234...) because fast notes are typically near each other (trills), so different controllers watch those notes. Any issues with this?
  • Any way to gang the outputs together for one USB connection?
  • Thoughts on the digital switch for detecting the damper down/note off?

Thanks for help -

Last edited:
I'll interleave the controllers (123412341234...) because fast notes are typically near each other (trills), so different controllers watch those notes. Any issues with this?

Seems like a reasonable idea.

I'd get just 1 of those FSR sensors and do some experimenting using the actual mechanism. People have reported mixed results with FSRs. Sometimes they can work great, but details matter...

Any way to gang the outputs together for one USB connection?

Probably best to use serial communication, where 3 of them send their events to 3 serial ports on the main board.

Thoughts on the digital switch for detecting the damper down/note off?

Several prior threads have discussed midi controllers with expression pedals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back