Is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cra5h

Hello all,

I am brand new to all this, all I have done so far is a little searching on Google.

I am wanting to build something similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTLagA8pTtE
But with a few changes/tweaks, mainly, multiple outputs from the pedal... to go to several devices, to send the pedal commands to all of the devices at once.

Is this something that can be done??

Yes, should be possible. For sending to multiple USB hosts, you'll need one Teensy per USB host.

It is possible to wire the same signal from a button to more than one Teensy. Just make sure you connect the buttons in the usual way where the button is between GND and the pin, and the pin is configured with pinMode(pin, INPUT_PULLUP).

If you're not going to add any audio signal processing, keeping it to "only" a MIDI controller, the less expensive Teensy LC should be plenty for this project.

Overwhelmed to say the least

This is very reassuring. I honestly don’t know the first thing about micro controllers other than things I’ve read on here in the last day or two. The main issue that I think I would run into is having so many tablets plugged into this thing. The physical dimensions/getting everything to fit inside a case that isn’t too bulky... and figuring out how to power everything (guitar pedal board daisy chain style power supply?) Ideally, I was hoping to be able to transmit power through the output ports that would charge all the tablets while plugged in.

I am also concerned with the mention of MIDI, I was under the impression that I would need to configure the controller to be seen as a HID keyboard in order for iOS and Android devices to recognize it. But if MIDI is better than I’m all for it.
This is all still very confusing. And frustrating.
I know what I want to build, how I want it to function... but actually making it happen boggles my mind entirely.

I really do want to get this project built and working.
So any help along the way is greatly appreciated.
I guess I really just need a starting point....
Followed by some sort of testing.

Yes, should be possible. For sending to multiple USB hosts, you'll need one Teensy per USB host.

It is possible to wire the same signal from a button to more than one Teensy. Just make sure you connect the buttons in the usual way where the button is between GND and the pin, and the pin is configured with pinMode(pin, INPUT_PULLUP).

If you're not going to add any audio signal processing, keeping it to "only" a MIDI controller, the less expensive Teensy LC should be plenty for this project.

It is difficult to help without a clear understanding of what it is you want to achieve. I understand that your setup contains a guitar pedalboard and many tablets, what are the tablets for? How do these components fit together? Could you make a drawing of what you had in mind? You should also list the functions of the device, especially the things that might seem obvious to you.

PageTurner.png

Something like this.

Have you considered Bluetooth keyboard emulation? Similar idea, but without the wires.

<edit>: I do not know what challenges there may be in creating Bluetooth associations with many devices.

If you've never used Arduino, the very first step which you can do before buying anything, is install Arduino and Teensyduino.

Then run Arduino, and click File > Examples > Teensy > USB_Keyboard > Buttons. That will open the example code which shows how to make buttons send keyboard data. It has lots of comments explaining how it works. If that looks like something you can understand and work with, then you're probably ready to get your first Teensy LC and start trying to make this work. If the code is totally overwhelming, maybe see if you can find someone to help...

That all seems pretty basic. I am sure I can get that part. The multiple devices all connecting into one box is the hard part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back