Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Teensy Loader high CPU usage

Teensy Loader high CPU usage

Hi,

I noticed that the Teensy Loader application (the one that opens when you press 'verify' or 'upload') uses quite a lot of CPU, even when not in use.
    Please see attached image for annotated system monitor screenshot.
    As soon as I close the Teensy Loader, CPU usage goes back to normal (all cores < 10% usage).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TeensyCPU-Start-crop.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	14704

I tried both TD 1.42 and 1.43 in combination with Arduino IDE 1.8.5 on Ubuntu 16.04 on a 2017 Dell XPS 15 (9560) with an Intel i7-7700HQ.

It's not a big deal, but it does cause my fans to turn on all of the time when I have the Teensy Loader open, which is quite annoying.

Thanks,
    Pieter

I have put this on my list of bugs to investigate & fix.

Sadly, there won't be time to get a fix into 1.44. Will probably get this into 1.45 in December.

Great to hear!
    Thank you.

Any news regarding this issue? At this point would it be worth it to just have teensy loader quit completely after uploading?
    It is still very much and issue with ubuntu 20.04 and teensyloader 1.52, using arduino or pio.

Quote Originally Posted by supermedia_art View Post
    Any news regarding this issue? At this point would it be worth it to just have teensy loader quit completely after uploading?
    It is still very much and issue with ubuntu 20.04 and teensyloader 1.52, using arduino or pio.
    The current TeensyDuino is 1.53 and 1.54 is in Beta.

If still an issue with the TD 1.54 in Beta - that is where the fix would come from.

It seems Ubuntu is Paul's default OS IIRC - seems if this were an issue he'd see it?

You might try TyCommander as an alternative to TeensyLoader and see if that gives better results. It works well with Arduin IDE and others - perhaps PIO as well?