multi-core beginner Teensy 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeTeeny

Folks;

As a new user of the Teensy 3.6 device and coming from an Adruino Mega2556 board, I haven't got my mind wrapped around the multi-core use.
Does the compiler decide which tasks go to which core?
Can I assign tasks to particular cores like all SPI and I2C to core 0 and all analog stuff to core 1, and PWM to core 3? I know this sounds a lot like I'm describing a propeller mcu but I saw some code for an ESP32 module that seemed to indicate that you could offload tasks to a particular core module.

So I'm not sure what I'm really looking for here. Maybe more of a description of how a multi-core mcu is used by the average Joe User or if all of this is taken care of in the background and it really doesn't matter.

Just for an example, my initial thoughts about my project would be something along these lines. Core 0 runs PWM code to drive robot motor controllers and servos. Core 1 is used to run SPI to a ESP32 module for remote bluetooth joystick speed and directions control. Core 2 could before sensors and Core 3 could be for displays and HMI stuff. All of these things are fairly time dependent and one can easily affect the others so breaking them out to parallel operations would be a concept that I think a multi-core processor would be good for.

But I'm most likely showing how little I really know about what happens under the hood of one of these things. So in my ideal Joe User world, I would be using the Arduino IDE and libraries and I would hope that when I create an instance of a PWM output, one of the parameters would be which core I attach that to. Same goes for the other functions.

So you won't hurt my feelings if you tell me I'm dumb as a post about how the world works with this stuff but I wouldn't mind having some direction or information about how I should be approaching multi-core programming.

Thank you all.

Thank you for the correction. Not sure where I was looking when I saw the 4 core development board but I thought it was this one.
Another senior moment for me.
Very sorry for not checking my facts first.

Regards;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back