Xbox Adaptive Controller with Teensy HID Joystick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing around recently with Microsoft's new Xbox Adaptive Controller, which is meant to be like a 'modular' gaming controller for people with disabilities. One of the features on it is that you can plug one or two HID joysticks into it, and it interprets the X & Y axes of the joysticks as if they were the controller's thumbsticks. Plugging in a flight-sim joystick, a Logitech gamepad, or even a regular Xbox controller works fine with this. But when I plugged in a Teensy 2.0 that was programmed in "Keyboard + Mouse + Joystick" mode, and didn't get any result.

My theory on this is that the Adaptive Controller is looking for devices that appear -only- as a Joystick, and that the triple-purpose HID mode of the Teensy throws it off. Like it sees the Keyboard or Mouse components first, and decides that this can't possibly be a Joystick. Or something.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how I might get this working? Thanks!

I have been looking at various Teensy USB projects as well but I do not have an adaptive controller. I do not know which approach is easiest.

1) Modify the files in hardware/teensy/avr/cores/usb_hid to create a joystick only driver.

2) For Teensy LC/3 there is a library that makes the Teensy looks like an Xbox 360 controller. No keyboard, no mouse, no raw HID, etc. just an XINPUT (xbox 360) controller.

The original repo is https://github.com/zlittell/MSF-XINPUT but it is a bit stale. The fork https://github.com/dmadison/MSF-XINPUT works with Arduino IDE 1.8.7 and Teensyduino 1.44.

I used this on Teensy LC and Teensy 3.6 plugged into an Ubuntu 18.04 computer. Note this will not work with an Xbox console because real controllers have security chips. But I doubt this will be an issue since the adaptive controller is a authentic Xbox accessory.

Good luck!

I just realized that when I tried to reply to this thread, I was in fact replying on the thread that Chris linked above. If anyone is still interested, there's more discussion of this topic over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back