Teensy 3.2 + Audio Board. Problem reading from SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a strange problem reading audio files from an SD card whilst using a Teensy 3.2 and the Teensy Audio board.

Symptoms are:
- The audio board hardware test (Part_1_02_Hardware_test) example works fine. I hear the beeps coming out of the audio board headphone socket.
- None of the examples that involve reading an audio file off of the SD card work. I'm using the example sound files from the PJRC site, and I've tested on two different SanDisk SD cards. Whenever I try to play a sound file it generates a really crazy loud glitchy tone continuously. When I restart the board the tone starts up again.

I recognise that there are a number of possible problems here, but I have one specific line of questioning...for the project I'm working on I have some design constraints that mean I was hoping to avoid connecting the audio board to the Teensy directly, and instead keeping them separate but connecting the pins with wires. So my current prototyping setup involves having the Teensy in a breadboard and the audio board separated, with a number of wires connecting the corresponding pins. These wires are about 15cm long.

I didn't think this would be an issue, however one of the things that happens is that when an audio file is "playing" (i.e., emitting crazy glitchy noise) and I move the connecting wires, sometimes the sound changes momentarily before settling down again.

I don't know if this is a red herring, but I was wondering if there could be an issue with using the audio board separated out from the Teensy, rather than directly connected. Could that be causing some sort of issue with reading the SD card? Or am I following the wrong train of thought?

Unfortunately I soldered male pins directly to the Teensys and audio boards that I'm using for my prototyping, so I'll need to buy another audio board to test my theory, so really I'm just posting this to see whether I should save myself the trouble :)

In case anyone else in the future is running into this problem: I appear to have fixed it by mounting the audio board directly (or nearly so) onto the Teensy using a silly-looking system of longer pins. I guess using wires to connect the two introduces too much interference or something for the SD card to be properly read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back