Fastest usb uart bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

False

Hello,

I have been using a usb to ttl bridge based on the CP2102 chip for a month now, and it suddenly stopped working. It is not recognized at all by Windows anymore and when it is plugged in the Serial’0’ is also not detected. Tested on 2 computers, same bahaviour. I’m pretty sure (and I hope) the CP2102 died and it’s not a problem with my teensy.

Anyway I have to buy a new one, and I wanted to buy the one that can deliver the best rates performance. I was reaching around 920000 bps max with the cp2102.

I read around the prolific 2303hxd can reach 12mbps, unfortunately I can’t find them and all the ones I can find look like fake chips to me.

Does anyone tried many chips already in order to reach the highest transfer speed ? Any choice you recommend ? On the same budget How do you avoid fake chips, any place/seller you recommend in Europe ?

Thanks

Maybe try using your Teensy board?

In Arduino, click File > Examples > Teensy > USB_Serial > USBtoSerial.

On Teensy 3.2, 3.5 & 3.6, I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised how fast it can run. :)

It's also pretty easy to delete the baud rate stuff and just hard-code a fixed (perhaps non-standard) baud rate, for use in situations where your terminal emulator doesn't give you the special baud rate you need.

Oh yes I already profit from the high speed of the native port.

But for my use case I need a second port to talk with another computer, so I wanted some advices on what models I could choose to replace my dead cp2102.

I ordered a prolific 2303ta (couldn’t find the hxd) and a ftdi 232r, both are supposed to have genuine chips but I have doubts on the first one. I will post results here when I get them, It might interest some people.

Rather perhaps - use ANOTHER Teensy: Cross the Rx & Tx - add GND wire and the USBtoSerial sketch will feed another terminal program.

Indeed, you can use another Teensy as a USB-serial converter. Just run that example code. Using Teensy 3.2 at 96 MHz, it should work all the way up to 6 Mbit/sec (the max Serial1 & Serial2 support).

SPI is the fastest you could get between 2 teensies, then your limited by the bandwidth of USB to PC at each end. If you do choose UART though it might be a good idea to attach the RTS & CTS lines and run it at 6megabaud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back