Teensyduino alternate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogaRaghu

I am a big fan of Teensyduino and personally for the kind of applications i do, its far more complete and i dont think i even use 50% of its capabilities.

But recently there was a discussion which came about and one of the participants was dead against the use of Arduino IDE saying its not meant for formal commercial builds. More of a hobby stuff...

Well i am not too familiar with the legalities here - open source / freeware etc. I guess i simply cannot create a code for a Mega 2560 using the Arduino IDE and start selling it to NASA ( don't worry - just a example :D)

So if that be the case, to develop commercial code using the Teensy 3.5 what alternatives exist in terms of compilers / debuggers / IDE ? One such thing i saw is the Arm Compiler 6. And i am sure vendors like Keil / IAR etc will have solutions.

But then there must be a compiler of choice among this huge crowd if one has to steer clear of Arduino IDE. Which one would that be ? ( Of course i understand that it has its own learning curve which is not for the weak in heart )

So if that be the case, to develop commercial code using the Teensy 3.5 what alternatives exist in terms of compilers / debuggers / IDE ? One such thing i saw is the Arm Compiler 6. And i am sure vendors like Keil / IAR etc will have solutions.

AFAIK, similar to Teensyduino, they all use more or less the same Gnu-Arm compiler of various version.

If you do not want Arduino simplification programming style, keep the ino file empty and do all your programming in *c/*cpp files. Everything is then plain C/Cpp.

Teensyduino is a good integrated way to test programs on a Teensy.

If there are 'complains' that there is no HW debugger, then don't use Teensy (at least as long T3.5/6 are not modified to allow HW debugging, i.e. Bootloader chip modified)

AFAIK, similar to Teensyduino, they all use more or less the same Gnu-Arm compiler of various version.

If you do not want Arduino simplification programming style, keep the ino file empty and do all your programming in *c/*cpp files. Everything is then plain C/Cpp.

Teensyduino is a good integrated way to test programs on a Teensy.

If there are 'complains' that there is no HW debugger, then don't use Teensy (at least as long T3.5/6 are not modified to allow HW debugging, i.e. Bootloader chip modified)

Yes good you brought it up... HW debugger is also on thier mind. Customers never want to make it easy for you right ?? :) But what about the license part ? Can a project developed in Arduino IDE used commercially - I think there are lots of aspects to consider inclduing the libraries that were used in the code ?

The answer is - it depends on the libraries and header files which you include. If you stay with the Teensyduino core files and the Teensy libraries which are all under open source license, then there is no problem. But if you use 3rd party libraries, you’d have to check their license model before using these in any commercial project.
So, your “problem” has less to do with the selected IDE, but rather with the software stuff which you include in your code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back