FreqMeasureMulti with teensy 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

YL77

Hi,

I probably have a trivial problem which I can't really understand. I'm trying to run the example code with teensy 3.6 but it seems like the freq isn't available. I would like to measure the F_BUS. The main porpose is to track time in sub-microsecond scale. It prints no pulses all the time (except the second print). I tried different pins (5,6,23) and it is the same. What did I miss?

Thanks in advance

Code:
/* FreqMeasureMulti - Example with serial output
 * http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_FreqMeasure.html
 * This example code is in the public domain.
 */
#include <FreqMeasureMulti.h>

// Measure 3 frequencies at the same time! :-)
FreqMeasureMulti freq1;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(57600);
  while (!Serial) ; // wait for Arduino Serial Monitor
  delay(10);
  Serial.println("FreqMeasureMulti Begin");
  delay(10);
  freq1.begin(6);

}

float sum1=0;
int count1=0;
elapsedMillis timeout;

void loop() {
  if (freq1.available()) {
    sum1 = sum1 + freq1.read();
    count1 = count1 + 1;
  }

// print results every half second
  if (timeout > 500) {
    if (count1 > 0) {
      Serial.print(freq1.countToFrequency(sum1 / count1));
    } else {
      Serial.print("(no pulses)");
    }
    Serial.print(",  ");

Serial.println();
    sum1 = 0;

count1 = 0;

timeout = 0;
  }
}

Last edited:
What signal do you have hooked to pin 6?

I added to tone(23,1024); to the end of setup() in your sketch, and jumpered pin 23 to pin 6, and your sketch worked for me
Code:
FreqMeasureMulti Begin
(no pulses),  

Due to ISR overhead, the highest frequency you can accurately measure is about 500khz. if you want to measure higher frequencies, use FreqCount lib.

Last edited:
Reading the documentation and studying the source code would have told you that the FreqMeasure and FreqMeasureMulti libraries measure the period duration of a signal, counting the F_BUS pulses during that time. The displayed frequency is then calculated as f = F_BUS /pulse_count_per_period. The documentation states that this is precise enough for signals <= 5kHz. Interrupt latencies make the physical limit at around 500kHz, but with reduced precision. F_BUS is between 36MHz and 60MHz, depending on F_CPU and the bus clock divider setting, and will thus never be measurable with that library.
The FreqCount library could basically do that, really counting input pulses during a fixed gate time. But since the latter is always obtained by integer division of F_BUS, you can’t measure eventual deviations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back