Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Teensy LC dead after blink upload.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    15

    Teensy LC dead after blink upload.

    Received my Teensy LC ( firs time I walways used arduino before)
    I followed this steps.
    After upload I make it rebot and after that the board is totally dead.
    No led blink
    No found by windows.
    I uploaded this file blink_fast_Teensy2.hex is this the problem?
    I fried something?
    I measure 5v and 3 volts dedicated pins
    Changed usb cwith no luck
    I would like to understand :-(
    thank you
    Andrea
    Last edited by claustro; 10-04-2018 at 09:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member PaulStoffregen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18,697
    Please try to recovery process, where you hold the button while plugging in the USB cable. Details here:

    https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/troubleshoot.html

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    15
    Thank you very much for your answer.
    I already tryed this procedure but without luck.
    I can't understand how I could brick /broke the board only uploading a sketch.
    Is it possible that the blink sketch was intended for a teensy 2 and not compatible with teensy lc?

    tried also this step
    Restart computer.
    Compile not upload the blink.ino example in Arduino, the Teensy loader should be open after this ready to program the blink program.
    Unplug the USB cable from PC, leave it plugged into the LC.
    Hold the program button down on the LC and plug usb back into the pc.
    Once the usb is plugged in release programming button in LC, should upload the blink code.

    the board is brand new, not connected to devices, took from the bag and tested with blink code.
    Last edited by claustro; 10-05-2018 at 05:48 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by claustro View Post
    Thank you very much for your answer.
    I already tryed this procedure but without luck.
    I can't understand how I could brick /broke the board only uploading a sketch.
    Is it possible that the blink sketch was intended for a teensy 2 and not compatible with teensy lc?

    tried also this step
    Restart computer.
    Compile not upload the blink.ino example in Arduino, the Teensy loader should be open after this ready to program the blink program.
    Unplug the USB cable from PC, leave it plugged into the LC.
    Hold the program button down on the LC and plug usb back into the pc.
    Once the usb is plugged in release programming button in LC, should upload the blink code.

    the board is brand new, not connected to devices, took from the bag and tested with blink code.
    Windows, Linux, MAC?
    if windows what does device manager do when plugging in Teensy?
    after verify, did Teensy loader show up (you say should but not if it did) ?
    How is Arduino tools configured? (6 lines after WiFi101 firmware updater entry)?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    15

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by WMXZ View Post
    Windows, Linux, MAC?
    if windows what does device manager do when plugging in Teensy?
    after verify, did Teensy loader show up (you say should but not if it did) ?
    How is Arduino tools configured? (6 lines after WiFi101 firmware updater entry)?
    Device manager don't see the board when connected . Totally dead.
    this is what I did.

    Took the board out of the box.
    Followed this tutorial and installed teensyduino on arduino 1,8,5
    Connected teensy to pc ( windows 10) correctly recognized by windows , led started blinking
    Loaded my sketch in arduine ide https://cdn.instructables.com/ORIG/F...ETJE4KM2YL.ino
    compiled but had error for missing joystick libraries
    Downloaded and installed libraries
    Compiled another time
    Error when uploading to the board I don't remember the exact error
    I checked that teensy and correct port , I selected . board teensy usb type serial port the only one present.
    tried another time , no success.
    Led still blinking on the board.
    Started from scratch

    followed this tutorial
    https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader.html
    clicked teensy.exe
    loaded blink_fast_Teensy2.hex
    pushed button on the board.
    Rebooted
    after that the led switched off and the board was dead

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by claustro View Post
    loaded blink_fast_Teensy2.hex
    You have to use blink_fast_TeensyLC.hex
    the one you used is for Teensy2


    prepare for TeensyLC
    plug in usb with button pressed and release after plugged in

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    15
    Thank you very much for your time.
    I am thinking the board gone dead , even if I can't understand how could be possible kill it uploading the wrong blink file.
    the board isn't see by windows and following your advice , plug in while the buttion is pressed doesn't change it.

    Damn how I could be such dumb!!
    thx
    Andrea

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by claustro View Post
    Thank you very much for your time.
    I am thinking the board gone dead , even if I can't understand how could be possible kill it uploading the wrong blink file.
    the board isn't see by windows and following your advice , plug in while the buttion is pressed doesn't change it.

    Damn how I could be such dumb!!
    thx
    Andrea
    The teensy is most likely not bad.
    very likely the Win dev manager is screwed up.

    disconnect teensy
    open device manager, under view: show hidden devices, under ports delete all serial ports
    open clock or get stopwatch
    press button un plug in teensy, hold button exactly 15 seconds (between 13 and 15 seconds) and release button.

    check in Win not only Port but also Human Interface Devices and tell us what you see

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    15
    I'll make what you are suggest me as soon as will be at home, meanwhile I checked in another PC win10 based but the board isn' t discovered.

  10. #10
    Senior Member PaulStoffregen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18,697
    Sounds like something went really wrong. Did you buy this one directly from PJRC or from a distributor?

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    15
    I took it from an Italian distributor, How can a stupid error like upload a wrong code , kill the board?

  12. #12
    Senior Member PaulStoffregen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18,697
    My best guess is something got physically damaged in some unexpected way that's not obvious.

    But the reality is, without getting the board here on my workbench, not much I can do.

    I have asked Robin to contact you about a replacement. She'll need to know which distributor.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    15
    https://www.robot-italy.com
    I also contacted the reseller , bot not answers for now.

    thank you for your efforts.

  14. #14
    Senior Member+ Theremingenieur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Colmar, France
    Posts
    2,071
    Besides of all, it was perhaps a bad idea, though, to upload code written for an 8bit AVR CPU into a 32bit ARM processor. I mean that thoroughly and systematically studying the available documentation instead of acting hastily might be a good suggestion in general for the future...

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    15
    You are right, I made a mistake choosing the wrong file but maybe I am missing something , I uploaded an teensy2 code to teensy lc so both arm processors.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,942
    teensy2 has an 8bit avr processor not arm, but IMO this should not kill the teensy.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    15
    if you want I can send it back to you , I am just curious about what happened

  18. #18
    Senior Member+ Theremingenieur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Colmar, France
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by WMXZ View Post
    teensy2 has an 8bit avr processor not arm
    I second that. One of the first things which my wife had to learn in 1994 before we married was the following theorem: Never discuss with or contradict a mathematician!

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    15
    Ok I tried at home what suggested and nothing happened , I tried on 3 pc windows based and all behave the same. No device appear in COM /LPT panel or HID devices.
    I can send it back at my expenses if it will help to solve the clue, I am quite scared to buy another board without knowing what went wrong.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    15
    I received answer from the italian reseller " Paul Stroffregen is the teensy creator , nobody can help more then him "

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •