Teensy 3.1 - Which MOSFET instead of Relais ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C3D

Hello Forum,

I have a Teensy 3.1 and at the moment i use two Relais to switch the Focus and Trigger of my camera.
The camera has only 2.46Volt on the remote-cable (2 pole only with resistors).

The Relais i use are somehow overkill (3V - 230V 10A) and i dont like the click,click.
The Teensy is battery powered with 2x 18650 at 8.4Volt and a Step-Down converter to 3.7Volt.

My question now is:

What Mosfets do i need and how to connect them correctly ? (I never used Mosfets yet...)

Thank you! :)

You probably only need a 74HCT4066(TTL) for that type of thing. Use a gpio to trigger a pin and the bilateral switch will join the contacts of the camera

Wow, two answers at once.
Thank you guys.

So which one is the better solution to be silent and saving on battery life?

Does a SIP/DIP reed relay have any mechanical or magnetic parts like a real relais?

So after some research i think i will go for an 74HC 4066 and not 74HCT 4066

I read that the HCT (T for TTL Logic compatible) is not necessary if its plugged directly to another chip logic (Teensy).

Or i just order some of both...

reed relays are silent, to an extent, you'd have to be very close to it to actually hear it, like silent room with ear near it... when power is applied, a magnetic charge shifts a tube inside to make contact.

Okay, i got my 74HC 4066 IC today.

I hooked it up and... it works!!

No more relays noise at all! Perfect!!!! The camera does focus and shoots!

I just have one last question:

First i tryd to measure if there is a "switch" closing and opening on the proper pins of the IC.
But my Voltmeter didnt do any BEEP sound at all.
Like when you touch the plus and minus tip of the measure tips it makes this BEEP sound.

However, i just ignored the circumstances and hooked up the camera cable and the teensy and it worked.

So why did my Voltmeter not BEEP???? :confused::confused::confused:

the contact has a miniscule resistance which wont beep, you should be able to see the value though if your reading the ohms, like taking a resistor and trying to check if the voltmeter beeps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back