Pre-noob question, for USB host - Best Teensy to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcarnaggio

Hi everybody,
I have been browsing forums on the topic of USB joysticks and converting the signal to something an Arduino can read. I know the forums already describe how to do it with the Teensy 2.0 but is an older chip the way to go? I'll admit, I don't know enough about USB except that a basic Arduino can't do what I need and various USB host shields seem to be geared for mouse and keyboard

In short, is the latest Teensy 3.6 the best way to make a device that can get the basic 6 axis and 16 buttons from a USB joystick for use in an Arduino? Or should I just get the Teensy 2.0?

Target device is a Logitech X-52 Pro
Goal: Integrated auto/manual type RC control station

Thanks

Teensy 3.6 is currently the only model which supports USB host.

You'll also need this cable and 5 pins of a header to connect it to your 3.6.

https://www.pjrc.com/store/cable_usb_host_t36.html

This cable is exactly the same as the USB2 cables used inside PCs, so if you have a leftover cable from any PC motherboard it should work too.

With all other Teensy before 3.6, you would need to use hardware like the USB host shield, because the built-in USB support is for USB device mode only. Teensy 2.0 definitely has only USB device built in.

Teensy 3.6 is currently the only model which supports USB host.

You'll also need this cable and 5 pins of a header to connect it to your 3.6.

https://www.pjrc.com/store/cable_usb_host_t36.html

This cable is exactly the same as the USB2 cables used inside PCs, so if you have a leftover cable from any PC motherboard it should work too.

With all other Teensy before 3.6, you would need to use hardware like the USB host shield, because the built-in USB support is for USB device mode only. Teensy 2.0 definitely has only USB device built in.

Thanks for the reply, I am going to order two 3.6 as soon as I'm done thanking you. I just discovered the Teensy, I think I may want to switch to it for all my projects and I haven't even got one yet. It sure looks like it has more to offer for the size. Not to mention, the absolute best and most sane way to store and present documentation makes me think I'll be able to leverage the tech more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back