Flashing/uploading program to multiple teensies in one network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew

Hello,

I am designing system for rehabilitation device. The topology of network will be something like that:

Desktop (User Interface) -> Master -> Slave 1 -> Slave 2 -> Slave 3

Desktop on Linux, Master and Slaves on Teensies 3.2-3.6. Desktop with Master will be connected via USB. Master with Slaves will be connected via RS485 (full duplex, isolation etc).

The problem is with flashing boards from one place (perfectly from Desktop). This problem concerning future software development and upgrading the software in final design during service tests.

Paul, anyone? What are the ways to achieve that?

So If I want to flash multiple boards, I have to get them connected via USB to the host and then do the stuff with tytools. That means additional cables (or one cable and hubs in nodes) between boards, am I right? In order to minimize the number of cables between nodes below will work?

connections.png

Yes, that would work. As long as they have valid USB connect, they can be programmed.

I have 5 T_3.6's just now on this computer - and all 5 can be sent the same HEX in parallel if desired and multi selected in the upload dialog. Or if from a stored HEX file all selected in the GUI and select the file to upload.

This design:

seems to work. I have connected three Teensy 3.6 via USB HUBs, then run tycommander from https://github.com/Koromix/tytools which gives me an overview of connected boards. The only problems that I experienced were problems with the USB HUBs - the OS sometimes won't be able to see all the devices.

What is more tytools identify each board by ID, so there is a possibility to write scripts (and integrate it into the app) to automate flashing process.

The only problems that I experienced were problems with the USB HUBs - the OS sometimes won't be able to see all the devices.

This is an issue common to all native USB boards. If something goes wrong with the code on the board, such that the USB isn't working, then your PC can't see it.

Every Teensy has a pushbutton for exactly this reason. The button is dedicated to 1 task - giving you a reliable way to get back into programming mode when things go wrong.

As part of the command line loader, there's a "rebootor" program you can put onto another Teensy. Obviously this has a huge downside of needing another Teensy dedicated only to the task of pressing the button. But when you need an ultra-reliable way to automate programming for code that might not always behave (like Travis-CI integration) it is the proper solution.

This is an issue common to all native USB boards. If something goes wrong with the code on the board, such that the USB isn't working, then your PC can't see it.

Every Teensy has a pushbutton for exactly this reason. The button is dedicated to 1 task - giving you a reliable way to get back into programming mode when things go wrong.

As part of the command line loader, there's a "rebootor" program you can put onto another Teensy. Obviously this has a huge downside of needing another Teensy dedicated only to the task of pressing the button. But when you need an ultra-reliable way to automate programming for code that might not always behave (like Travis-CI integration) it is the proper solution.

Paul, thanks for the detailed explanation, however "my problems" weren't serious problems. I am convinced that they were related only to USB HUBs, on boards there was only Blink uploaded.

TLDR: For the next readers, the problem was related to USB HUbs - some boards were visible for a while (/dev ~ls, the same on tycommander) and not for a moment when connected via HUBs to PC. As I remember correctly (I will check it) the USB HUB replacement removed the "problem".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back