New Teensy 3.2 Won't Show Up as COM Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfvalvo

Hi,

I just connected a new T3.2 to my Win7 Computer and it's showing up under "Other devices --> USB Serial" rather than under Ports (COM & LPT). See attached picture.

Arduino IDE / Teensyduino won't download code to it. But after that fails, I can press the button on the T3.2 and the Teensy Loader will program it. I have it blinking a known pattern on the LED to confirm it got my code.

So, I can program it but can't open it as a COM Port for Serial I/O.

I have several other T3.2s and they work fine.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Teensy.JPG
    Teensy.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 288
Update: I have two T3.2 boards behaving this way. Got them both from Adafruit, so have to assume they're genuine.

Another Update: I installed the "Windows Serial Installer" from the PJRC Teensyduino page and now both T3.2s are showing up as COM Ports!!!
Any idea why these two particular devices required doing so while my other T3.2s didn't.

your other teensies were already programmed, by default the actual USB is not enabled on new teensies until you flash it with it enabled

if you had an issue with a windows driver, its possible your usb driver was not complete or bugged
also specify your OS, it may be a known issue

it’s not always a first time that old drivers load and new ones don’t, it’s one of the issues with windows that can happen, and by going to device manager to “force” it to install on a built in driver worked, this is due to some type of configuration file problem

Every brand new Teensy comes running HID protocol, not serial. It only becomes serial once you upload a program. The Arduino upload is able to find the HID device and automatically upload to it (using the Windows HID driver, which is always present in every version of Windows), even though you haven't selected it in the Ports menu.

Your other boards that show up as serial must have been successfully programmed at least once.

When you use Arduino, click Tools > USB Type. This menu shows you the *many* ways Teensy can act as a USB device. The ones without the word "Serial" do not show up as a COM port. This is by design. There are a lot of uses, like MIDI, where you wouldn't want to have a COM port appear.

Thanks for the replies all. But, the explanation doesn’t quite match the specifics of this case. Recapping:

* Plugged new T3.2 into Win7 computer and it didn’t show up as COM Port -- as expected given Paul’s explanation.

* Tried to download a program to perform specific LED blink sequence. The “USB Type” was set to “Serial” in the Arduino IDE.

* Arduino IDE failed to download program. But, pressing button on T3.2 caused Teensy Loader to run again and program the board. Built-in LED blinked in the proper sequence.

* But, T3.2 board STILL did not show up as a Serial COM Port.

* Downloaded and installed the "Windows Serial Installer" from the PJRC Teensyduino page. THEN the T3.2 showed up as a Serial COM Port.

Perhaps my installation of "Windows Serial Installer" (which I must have installed in the past given I’ve been programming Teensys for a couple years) became corrupted somehow and re-installing fixed it?

Anyway, I’m up and running. Thanks again.

More likely explanation would be clicking the "skip" button in the installer on the driver step, or when Windows asks you to confirm you want to install the driver, clicking the cancel button. Either of those would have left you without the INF installed.

But this is Windows. All sorts of "strange" things without sensible explanation seem to happen on some Windows systems, so I guess anything's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back