OctoWS2811 with CAN and RS485

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcdammeyer

Hi everyone,
I've got a few more Teensy modules and a couple of OCTO28_ADAPTORs on the way and have dusted off a 3.2 and a 3.5 to be able to run strings of Pixels. My ultimate goal is to be able to control the RGB pixels with CAN messages or RS485 DMX-512A.

I've done this in the past with RGBW lamps I designed specifically for this project.
http://www.autoartisans.com/images/BlackRingsOnBarge.jpg

That project had 150 lamps per ring. USB interface to PC and the 5 CAN channels to the 1::3 bridges to sets of 50 lamps.

Software on the PC was written in Delphi as two separate programs. One as a diagnostic and testing tool. One to run light shows and display lamp status. The attached photo shows the temperature of each lamp as reported over the CAN buses via DS1822 temperature sensors.

My goal over the next few months is to create firmware for the Teensy 3.2 to receive CAN messages, and copy the RGB information into the octoWS2811 buffers.

The Ring Management Unit (9S12 controller) has 5 CAN bus channels. Receives lamp information via USB and updates the lamps. Processors like the 9S12 in the RMU or PIC 18F2680s in the lamps have a decent IDE for developing, debugging and single stepping code or stopping a break points.

Am I wrong or is that the weakest point with the Arduino (Teensy) IDE. No breakpoints or debugging features?

Anyway, I'll periodically update this thread with more photos and information as I work on this project.

Attachments

• temperatures.jpg
    temperatures.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Assembled9S12-3.jpg
    Assembled9S12-3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 70
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back